Schizophrenia.com

Akathisia help

Anyone else get this literal urge to always be moving. It’s literally ruining my quality of life. It’s making me wake up too early and preventing me from getting enough sleep. I’m walking like atleast 10 hours a day. Doctor is prescribing me something for it but I dont get it till Wedensday which sucks. I dont have the money to buy anything for it. But what would you guys recommend I try for it. What’s a good med for this.

Idk if there are any over the counter meds that help. My doctor gave me propranolol for it I googled it and it said Benadryl might help

1 Like

A good prescription med for it is benztropine or rather Cogentin. It cures my nighttime akathisia.

You can also try icepacks to your feet. That seems to help me.

5 Likes

I was prescribed Benztropine/Cogentin for Latuda induced akathisia. I couldn’t sleep due to the akathisia. But Latuda didnt fully work for my positive symptoms anyway so now I am on 4mg Risperdal and no more akathisia.

1 Like

So did you finally go on Abilify?

@cutie18heart

1 Like

I agree with @SkinnyMe . Cogentin helps with that. I take it every day.

1 Like

The trick to allleviating akathisia is not to constantly move all the time, but rather do a burst of energy until you build lactic acid in the legs. A stationary bike is ideal for it. Go for it on a bike for 10 minutes and then you can get some relief, rather than constantly pacing.

Give it a try!! What do you have to lose? It works, at least until you can get some addictive benzos from the doc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nope they are keeping me on invega

1 Like

I had bad akathisia on Abilify. We tried propranolol and cogentin. Neither really worked :frowning:

I’m on Caplyta now and I don’t have akathisia anymore though.

2 Likes

Oh wow I’m gonna try cogentin for mine hopefully it works. Right now I feel like crap lol. I would love to be on caplyta. Do you really like it?

1 Like

I had that on haldol. They gave me akineton/biperiden. It worked, but it made me feel high. Lowering the dose of haldol helped to get rid of akathisia completely, i am a lot more relaxed and can easily sit still now. Even a tiny reduction of 0.5mg already made a world of difference. But i dont know if that is an option.

1 Like

Yup! It’s going very well so far (fingers crossed for moving forward)

1 Like

Try Akineton 4mg slow release tablets. If that doesn’t work, I know 2 meds that don’t cause akathisia. Quetiapine and Clozapine

1 Like

Addictive benzos don’t work on akathisia. Benztropine or, Cogentin, is not addictive.

2 Likes