After further review

My current psychiatrist decided to change my diagnosis from bipolar to schizoaffective.

She told me that my previous bipolar diagnosis was never set in stone, and that a SZA diagnosis could easily fit into the picture.

I have more insight into my symptoms now that I’m no longer on Depakote which fogged up my mind for decades.

I was better able to communicate my current symptoms to her.

I’m satisfied with her decision.

10 Likes

Hmm?.

Depakote Seems Like A Placebo To Me.

Hope, True Love, Honesty, Joy, And Eternal Peace!.

1 Like

That’s good news that you feel content with the decision. Good stuff.

1 Like

Thanks @anon44466342

1 Like

I was first diagnosed SzA, but it was changed to Paranoid Sz in 2008. I think the original SzA diagnosis is the correct one.

I’m glad you are happy with the diagnosis.

1 Like

Thanks @anon54988740 154

1 Like

The main thing is that you feel at peace now.

1 Like

Yes thanks @NotSeksoEmpirico

1 Like

Hmm.

Living The Dream. Is…, Living Your Life, The Way You Have Always Dreamed To Live It.

As Long As You Try To Keep Your Commonsense, Intuition, And Instincts, Intact.

Analyzing Your Inner Circuit Wiring. Consciousness, Subconsciousness, And Shadows Aura.

Making The Right Choices For Yourself. And Staying Coherent. . .

N e Hoo.

Good Luck On Your Travel’s!.

2 Likes

Thanks @ATARI

Hmm?.

No Problem.

1 Like

I got diagnosed with schizoaffective years ago. Then it changed to schizoaffective bipolar type. I’m doubtful I was ever bipolar but I guess my psychiatrist knew better than I did.

1 Like

No I definitely have some bipolar but I also have enough schizophrenia symptoms as well.

1 Like

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective but now I’m told it’s schizophrenia. I’m a little confused with the constant shuffling of labels my whole life. My first label was paranoid schizophrenia, so that may be why he chooses that one. I was more honest about my history and brought my dad to an appointment. My mood does limit me. I go through episodes of depression, mania, psychosis. But I think because I react badly to anti-depressants is why he wants to keep it at schizophrenia, so that would limit the types of meds I can be put on? The issue is I am seriously wanting to be put on Prozac, but I think it would likely do what it did to my mom or make me worse. It would be really nice if I Could be put on a medication that helps. There are lots of people who get worse on anti depressants, makes me think of all the shootings with schizophrenics and they find out they were put on anti-depressant drug cocktails before it happened. I’m not the violent type but I could become psychotic again. I get confused about what it means to have schizophrenia. Because I don’t have hallucinations all the time, but I am constantly battling this disease. Fear/paranoia/nightmares/conspiracies/being niave and gullible/drug addiction etc. I am 100 percent certain that schizophrenia is what caused my addiction. I never used drugs before I had schizophrenia. Although sometimes I speculate severe trauma and assault triggered my first episode, I still have schizophrenia. Even if I was roofied and raped and don’t remember it; hospitalized and forced medications until I became catatonic, I’m sure the system did not create my chronic illness.

1 Like

I’m sorry @anon71432064
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

It’s good that you are able to accept your label though. I wanted to believe I had Bipolar because of the stigma of Schizophrenia. The truth is I know I have Schizophrenia, but I’m constantly in denial of it to where I can convince myself and others I’m fine. But I continue to take the medications which are helping a lot. Having consistency is important. Thanks for replying and not being offended about this. I have just been reliving my first episodes, trying to make sense of it and wanting clarity. I know it will be ok though. I have a good support system.

2 Likes

There is definitely less stigma surrounding a bipolar diagnosis, but I don’t care about this.
The truth is that I know I have schizoaffective.

My other docs got it right all along.

One of my first psychiatrists placed me on an antidepressant and when I became unstable with mood shifts diagnosed me with bipolar.

This was the wrong way to diagnose someone.

The truth of the matter is that all antidepressant type drugs make me nuts!

1 Like

Same here. Is that common for people with schizophrenia? For awhile it seemed like it was ok for someone with schizophrenia to be on an anti-depressant. My doctor will only prescribe me anti-psychotics, nothing for my anxiety or depression. I also used to have ADHD as a diagnosis, Adderall helped me learn to drive a car. I kept failing the test and as soon as I was put on it I passed. Maybe it was because it boosted my confidence though more-so than memory and attention. I do feel pretty unmotivated and blah all the time.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that people suffering with a bipolar type disorder don’t tolerate antidepressants well.

I’m not denying that I suffer with bipolar symptoms but I also suffer with schizophrenia symptoms as well.

I too lack motivation and feel like blah throughout the days.

1 Like

Yeah I have Bipolar symptoms also sometimes, but I don’t know if I have schizoaffective or schizophrenia. I think just calling it schizophrenia avoids confusion. Moods can definitely be affected by the illness either way. I cry easily at movies, sometimes commercials lol and my mom will look at me funny.

1 Like