Addiction to benzos?

Anyone here ever have an addiction to bezos and taper off? I was prescribed a whopipng 4mg of Xanax daily and became tolerant to it and now I am tapering (long term-it’s HARD) off of it. I post on a website called benzo buddies dot com. where we talk about our withdrawal symptoms and tapering plans.

Have any of you had to deal with benzo tolerance or withdrawal and then had to wean off? How did you do it? How did it go?

Thank you

2 Likes

I am not a help now, but I take klonopin since 7 years and I am probably addicted to it now… Idk, a small dose of an ap could help eventually, but aps are tough meds for szs…
How long have you been on xanax?
I know a sz lady, who is on xanax till life and her docs think it’s OK… but I don’t find this OK, nope…

1 Like

I’m on up to 2mg of klonopin a day and have been for years.

The thought of having to taper off of them horrifies me.

I’ve come off benzos before and it’s brutal,

I’d tell you how the withdrawal was, but I was also withdrawing from some other stuff so I don’t really know which is which symptom wise.

2 Likes

Here’s a post I made earlier

I was on 0.5mg a day of clonazepam, and got horrible withdrawals. The way I eventually came if it was by slowly increasing the amount of days between taking it.

At the beginning I would take it every other day for 2 weeks, then every 3 days for two weeks, etc.

Doing it slowly was the key.

Good luck coming off it.

2 Likes

I take 1.5mg of klonopin a day and don’t feel addicted. :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:

1 Like

Technically benzos are not addictive, but you can develop a dependency on them. There is a difference between addiction and dependency. Addiction is when you crave something, like cigarettes. I never felt a craving for a benzo. Dependency is when your body has a reaction if it stops receiving it, with benzos you have physical withdrawals if you stop taking it, and it can be very serious, you can have a seizure and even die if you stop taking it abruptly, especially if you are on a high dose.

I was on clonazepam 0.5mg/day for a year and became dependent on it. I slowly reduced my dosage over a period of about 4 months, by the end I was taking little tiny bits. When I finally quit I had 3 weeks of withdrawals, just episodes of intense anxiety like experiences that lasted for an hour, I would also break out into heavy sweats. I would just lay in my bed and wait these episodes out, they were not pleasant. After those 3 weeks I was fine. That was about 1.5 years ago.

I am now back on clonazepam 1.5mg this time for sleep, I have horrible brutal insomnia and I can’t sleep without some sort of sleeping pill, I’ve tried a bunch and clonazepam works best. I’ve taken it every night for over a month now. I am probably dependent on it again. If I ever start sleeping naturally without needing a sleeping pill I’ll just cut down my dosage like I did last time.

It’s a long slow process though. The standard advice is to reduce your dose by 10% of your previous dose every 4 weeks, but you can play around with that, some people can go quicker, others have to go slower. Sometimes you reduce a bunch then have to hold for a while so you stabilize, then continue reducing after that. You have to figure out what works for you personally since everyone is different.

I think I remember reading Xanax is one of the hardest benzos to withdrawal from because it has a shorter half life, while clonazepam is one of the easier ones because it has a longer half life.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have brutal insomnia as a result of withdrawing. I am doing a liquid taper and reducing bases on my symptoms. I am glad the clonazepam still works for you. I hope it continues to work for you. Xanax quit working for me for insomnia and anxiety so I had to come off of it. It’s taking me months considering my starting dose and WD symptoms. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I read about the liquid taper method but it seems complicated. I ended up buying a jewellers scale from Amazon, one that went down to 0.0001 grams and weighed out my dosages. I ended up doing okay with that method.

All the best!

1 Like

I took 2mg of klonopin for about 10 years. I became psychotic and had to be hospitalized and when I got out of the hospital, I no longer had a prescription for it. I assume they tapered me off it while I was there, but I was so out of it that I didn’t even notice. I don’t really miss it and overall I am glad I don’t take it anymore.

1 Like

I have been hospitalized for 3 weeks and they didn’t give me my Xanax and I was fine. It makes me wonder if the massive amount of drugs they doped me up with in the hospital prevented WD from Xanax or if I just got lucky. Now that I am home and on 1mg of Risperdal, I suffer WD’s if I don’t carefully taper. I have actually been hospitalized twice while on Xanax and they didn’t give it to me but I got home and had my anxiety and went back on it.

From what ive been told dependant on meds is completely different from addiction, addiction is where you abuse benzos to get high dependant on meds is taking it as prescribed however and this might be bad advice but not everybody who has abused benzos are addicts I’ve taken loads of benzos to get high during a manic episode I don’t do it unless I’m manic I don’t crave it so I’m not addicted to it but be careful

1 Like

Not benzos, but I had a pretty open-ended scrip for pain for a spinal injury. I accidentally found a supplement that really helped with the pain and made the decision to go off of the vicodin. It was a very uncomfortable few weeks until I stopped jonesing for the darn pills. Didn’t realize how addictive they were.

1 Like

Yeah, I build up a brain dependency to an overly generous prescription as opposed to being addicted. My brain built up a tolerance to my Rx. There’s a few people that can quit cold turkey or do a fast taper and be fine but for many (like me), you have to taper slowly and carefully. I am lucky I have my prescriber willing to keep prescribing it to me.

First time i was given a benzo i was like wow. lol. the way the nurses were very cautious about giving it to me when i asked for it though made me realize they can be addictive. I did take them for a while but i was always careful for that reason.

1 Like