Abilify vs off meds

For some reason idk I was more functional on Abilify than off meds and I was off meds for 2yrs. How is that possible? Is it because Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist? Though now on risperidone I am even worse than off meds.

I was on Abilify 10-20mg for 8yrs. I felt that it gave me too much energy more than off meds.

Reading this i would like to give abilify a try, but my med is working fine now.

1 Like

I can’t say everyone will have the same experience as me though as we all react differently to meds. Some are more sensitive to dopamine than others.

1 Like

I’m even considering wellbutrin and i didn’t want that one and im don’t think i’m brave enough to ask for it. Anything that could help me focus

1 Like

Sorry for ranting i just remembered i really lack dopamine xD.

Wellbutrin gave me a boost but it removed the pleasure I get from nicotine. It made me a bit more irritable but now I am not irritable anymore, maybe I should go back on Wellbutrin, I will miss nicotine though.

1 Like

Thats the reason i don’t want to try it, i’ll have to give up beer since those 2 can cause seizures together, but at the same i think it could be worth it.

1 Like

I had such a horrible time with Abilify that my nickname for it is DisAbilify. It’s weird how some head meds are a panacea for some and poison for others.

1 Like

What did it do?

Not so much for positives, amplified negatives, found side-effects disabling.

2 Likes

Strangely like you on Abilify I have more negatives symptoms off meds I lowered my Zyprexa to 5 mg and my negatives were horrible on Abilify along with Zyprexa my negatives are better than on Zyprexa alone.

2 Likes

I struggle off meds greatly, I also can’t find much that helps my sz abilify is about it not much else works on me… That’s why they’d rather add meds to stop my uncomfortable movements than change meds… Abilify is a good med, I was less hungry and had more energy off though

1 Like

Glad to know I am not alone!

1 Like

Abilify didnt do much for me. Olanzapine works much better for my paranoia and delusions.

1 Like

I have tried nearly all the APs in the UK - apart from some of the first gen

Trust me, it was painful to find one that did not make me tired all the time - as well as a lot of other things

You need a pdoc with some resolve.

Shame here now I got told back in the day docs had 40-50 patients and now they have 200-300

It’s not a good time to be a MH patient

When I didn’t get them to help me find the right one I used to quit cold turkey

Wouldn’t recommend that, but if they’re not giving you the correct attention, you need to make them listen somehow

1 Like