Abilify and eye vision problems? anyone got this

Ok had small dose of the stuff and vision blurred for weeks

Still experincing some vision issues pop ups and flares sometimes my eyes ache and feel burning a bit with astigmatism

Does anyone else have vision issues and is it long term? Id like to hear experince from people.

1 Like

No vision issues from Abilify. But I’ve had it from other medication.

1 Like

Your lucky what dose are you on? ive experinced vision issues from omeprazole, rogaine, abilify.

My vision has gotten worse on Abilify and after about 8 years on it I need glasses, no joke. My vision is so bad now. I can’t even read signs on the road.

Wow long time being on it, have you thought about stopping it? Does it help you with depression it did nothing for me at all which I was upset about as I expected a lot from it but just had so many effects

It used to help with paranoia but not depression. It actually makes me more depressed now than before. I am probably going to stop it and switch to something else for fatigue. I take Vyvanse and that helps pretty well for the adhd but I need glasses now because of Abilify always made me vision blurred. Now it’s permanent seeming, and so I am going to stop it for a few years and see if there’s an improvement. It used to help a little with depression because it helped with balancing my moods.

I’ve had temporary vision issues – usually eyes taking too long to refocus – that have always cleared up after time. This is in over two decades of using various APs.

Pixel.

Did it help to switch to a different AP or did they clear up with another medication? I’m worried my vision problems were caused by medication but I’m not sure. I am 26 now and started at 16. So I’ve been on them about 10 years. Is there a medication that you know helps with moods and paranoia/mania but does not affect the vision?

The problems have cleared up on their own as I acclimatized to the meds over time. Quite possible your vision issue is not related to meds at all. Best to see an eye doc.

Pixel.

Oh right well stopping it probably is right if you feel worse. Wish abilify would of worked for me had like 30 effects from it thought I had NMS seriously. Was in bed for weeks and unable to do much still feeling its effects now and also its physical deformities it gave me.

I have been taking Abilify because I’m still prescribed it until my next appointment in a few weeks. It knocks me out though. I took it and slept an entire day and couldn’t get out of bed. I ran out of Vyvanse so I’m kinda stuck in the medication situation. I might talk to my dad about what I can do to get a refill or what.

It knocks you out, what dose are you on? Wish I had good tolerance to meds see this is the thing I kept taking meds to counter act sides from other meds. My reason for abilify was hypersexuality and it did give me strong erections within 10 mins of dose it also knocked me out bad each time I took it I found it harsher then risperdal.

knocked you guys out? for me it makes me wide awake and can’t sleep. guess everyones different

no vision problems for me though

Lucky anyone get hair loss or any other abnormal deformities? From abilify

Eye burning is another rare effect of it and because of its long half life if allergic its quite painful

Abilify is an anticholinergic which has some properties of the eye drop used to dilate the eyes ( which also causes blurry vision). So, can have dilated pupils and blurred vision from the medication. I agree to get an eye exam if you continue with the symptoms.

If the medication causes eyes to burn, maybe from dryness- so ask an eye doctor for suggestions on easy eye OTC drops that reduces the burning.

Thank you for info and advice had no idea abilify had this in!

i’m on 25 mg Abilify.

You have a good tolerance that high dose

Yes I have this when I’m reading up close but I also notice it will go away after focusing for a few seconds

I guess. I need high doses of anything I take. Even speeping aids. My body/brain is stubborn. I started on 10 mg Abilify but got psychotic. We slowly increased to 25 mg. Now I’ve been there for a year. Psychotic symptoms are breaking through. If I need more meds my pdoc will change meds completely she said.