A tale of mental illness -- Elyn Saks TED talk

The question I would pose is should people be left struggling, though not an immediate danger to themselves or others, due to the severity of untreated symptoms ? What is our responsibility as a society to those who are vulnerable and not functioning well ?

2 Likes

I would have to say it is our collective responsibility to help.

The thing is, someone is only not a danger to themselves or others until they arenā€™t. And that first time can be deadly. Plus, what is the cost of human suffering?

1 Like

This is something I had to deal with during my second hospitalization after another suicide attempt. I was a danger to myself, but i was not violent. They did not need to put me in restraints for hours.

1 Like

When I was in court, the judge asked the psychiatrist if I was a danger to myself or others. Instead of giving the judge a simple yes or no like I saw him do with people before me, he went on in a monologue that I didnā€™t really understand but felt it resonate in my mind.

Idk is this off topic?

1 Like

I was on court ordered meds and am glad that the order was made. I actually wish my doc would have done it sooner. I really value my sanity now and will stay on meds for the rest of my life if need be.

2 Likes

hi,
i feel youā€¦

1 Like

Hiā€¦ r u also on court order? This can kill you Im glad Im alive.

2 Likes

i am not currently under court order noā€¦ :slight_smile: thank the gods!
but i have been on one - way too much stress and stuff to be a good thingā€¦

2 Likes

When they get you to hospital its like prison!?! I have been 2 times before on court order.

1 Like

Where r u from? Also- can you stop your medications after the term is over? Idk the law.

If youā€™re not on court ordered treatment you can stop taking the meds here (Oregon).

1 Like

I mean but can you stop the prescriped medications after the court order-time finished?

Yes. But you will get massive withdrawal symptoms.

I dont care about the symptoms but care about if its right by the law. Thereā€™s no information on internet about that for my country Bulgaria.

1 Like

I donā€™t know Bulgarian law, but here yes you can legally stop taking them once the court order is not renewed.

1 Like

I hope elyn saks succeeds in making the health system respond to our sensitivities our feelings our pain. she has got a point that shoving medical treatment down a very ill personā€™s ā€œthroatā€ does maybe more harm than good in that it is painful to be treated that way and dehumanizes the patient.

judy

2 Likes