A small incident that I almost didn't know what to make of it

It’s about 1:30 am, I just got back from the grocery store. I sometimes shop late at night there. Tonight I was just wandering around with some money to spend looking for something good that would hit the spot. I eventually settled on some expensive cheese.

I’ve been experimenting by buying different types of cheeses for the last several months. I buy some I’ve never heard of just to try them.

Anyways I had my packet of cheese but there were no cashiers, everybody was busy stocking shelves so I just stood there waiting for someone to notice me and ring up my cheese. And also I saw a bottle of orange vanilla coke so I thought I would try that too.

I finally asked a worker to help me. While he was coming over I looked up and two guys were walking towards me. I didn’t know how to act at first, I kind of tried acting tough; I tried to bluff my way through it because I couldn’t tell if they were threatening or harmless. They passed me and kind of laughed at me because it was like I was telling @daze earlier this evening, I treat everybody like they are innocent.

But they passed me with no incident and I heard them them talking about how there’s no tellers so I told them I had just called one. I was being friendly and the cashier came and I walked over to stand in line behind the two guys who looked to be about 21 or 22 years old. And they were really polite!! They both looked at me and told me to go ahead of them. They only had one or two items each and I said, “Go ahead, you only have that item” but they still said go ahead. I detected no guile or anything like that.

So I checked out and walked out hoping I had learned a lesson from that encounter. The whole incident lasted only a couple of minutes but it was a revelation to me that you can run into cool, friendly people even at 1:30 am. I finished my orange coke driving back home, it was nasty tasting and I’ll never buy it again.

4 Likes

I’ve been surprised in the past at how nice or mean people have been to me or others.

What time do you have to get up for work? Just curious if you’re up shopping at 1:30 AM.

1 Like

It’s my day off today!

the door is a big thing, they hold it for me, and hold it for anyone else.

Kindness is treasured.

1 Like

Yes, both for being on the receiving end and giving it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.