Schizophrenia.com

A little synopsis

I am 53 now. I was diagnosed in 1980 at age 19 with paranoid schizophrenia. I didn’t really think about how long I would survive or live until I was in my mid-twenties. I never thought I would make it to forty. But not because of schizophrenia, just because of my lifestyle. To be blunt and honest I thought I would be murdered by someone by then. I wasn’t living an abnormal life or I am wasn’t anything special, but I just felt my chances were low of surviving. I won’t sugar-coat it, I’ve spent a few years of unimaginable suffering and I’ve been through hell when I was in my twenties… But I’ve had relatively good years too. Years where I had a little money, a semi-active social life and a LOT of great experiences even though I had symptoms. I often look at my life as impossible. Impossible that I can do anything considering how severe my disease was when I was first diagnosed.I’ve worked (albeit mostly part-time) for most of the last 30 years, I need 5 more classes for my degree, I live on my own, and have my own car. Knowing myself, it just seems impossible that I can go to the store or do my laundry let alone all the big accomplishments I’ve made. I guess I live by the motto of NIKE Shoes Company. Not a lot of tricks, “I Just Do It”.

2 Likes

Maybe you should submit this to the schizophrenia magazine that someone posted about.

2 Likes