A "brain training" Smartphone/tablet/ipad game developed in Britain may improve the memory of patients with schizophrenia

After a day of training, I’m now at the 62nd percentile. That’s up from the 5th percentile!

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been only playing it for a day, but I like it better already than Lumosity.

1 Like

Let’s see how other people are doing! I talked to my doctor about my memory and she said she’s not worried. She thinks it’s a combination of depression and the antipsychotics. So she is going to lower the antipsychotics and add Cymbalta to my Wellbutrin. I’m looking forward to the results!

2 Likes

Well, my memory and problem solving scores are similar to yours, but my other scores are lower and so my overall Peak Brain Score is currently about 360. I’ve been playing for about two weeks, and this is my first encounter with brain training. Also I only play the free version, so my progress is going to be a bit slower.

From what I’ve seen of others statistics you can expect to plateau after about 5 months. I guess there is a limit to the extent to which neuroplasticity can rewire and fine tune the brain.

On the Cambridge University Memory Training module I am up to seven card sets after a week, it’s quite challenging on the perception side as well as the memory one. I think the game does up to 12 card sets, so there’s a lot of room for improvement.

1 Like

Any chance you could do a screen shot of this and post it so that everyone can see what you’re talking about.

Thanks so much for all your updates so far - very helpful!

Everyone - it would be really interesting to see what the result was of someone using both this new Cambridge University Memory Training module in the Peak Game, and then add on Sarcosine.

I would think that if you used the Memory Training for a month regularly, then added on the Sarcosine, and then see what happens to your scores - it would be very intersting to help us understand whether Sarcosine is really helpful or not.

If some people decide to do this please report back - and let us know how it goes.

There is a new study that suggests that the sarcosine should really help:

Here is what the Menu open looks like, pick Advanced Training and you should see the second screen where you can select the Cambridge University Memory Training module.

1 Like

Thanks - great stuff!

I’m confused. Is glutamate too high or too low in schizophrenic brains? I thought I’ve heard both. Would like to know the answer. Thanks.

My interpretation of this is that there is too much (called “hypofunction”) glutamate, and sarcosine helps to decrease that level.

Here is where I get that understanding from:

I don’t have a computer I only have my iPhone 6 with 64GB it works well as a replacement and better than spending on a MacBook Pro. The only annoyance is battery life no keyboard and small screen for larger projects like novels and games. I would really like to get this app!

It’s available for the iPhone as it’s downloadable from iTunes.

1 Like

Day 3:

Day 4:

1 Like

Seems like things are going really well. Thanks for the update!

I am up to doing eight card sets in the Cambridge University Memory Training module now. There is definitely progress over the two weeks that I have been doing it. I’m having no problems with episodic recall - it’s been a while since I have forgotten keys or appointments - and I am getting vastly improved visual dream recall as well. It has been interesting. I am noticing my instant recall is still weak, it often takes 2-3 tries to get a correct full circle of cards.

Anyway eight cards is the first unlocked set of extra rewards, with 30 normal rewards before it which you get one per day. So I think it is normally encountered between 20-30 days in, which means I am progressing quite rapidly. I intend to do at least the complete month of training, and may do a second month.

On the main Peak app I am progressing steadily, around the 50th percentile in most things except problem solving and memory, where I am around the 60th percentile. This i see more as a long term thing, although I notice action speed is a limiting factor in score in many games and that really doesn’t interest me. Hammering the buttons to get the high score is so old school.

2 Likes

This sounds really good. Have you tried Sarcosine too? I’m very interested to see some real and precise tests of memory (that this game seems to provide) for people who are on sarcosine.

Congrats you are doing good and working hard. It will end up paying dividends!

1 Like

Day 6:

2 Likes

I’m now in the 50th or 60th percentile for memory on lumosity. I am improving.

2 Likes

The thing is, can you hold on to improvements made? My feeling is that if they are temporary and my scores drop after a while, then it’s not worthwhile. But from what I’ve seen so far of people’s long term records, most of the improvements are lasting.

I’ve started a discussion with Peak about the number of games they have which involve a race-against-the-clock component. I feel those stress reflexes, reaction speed, nerves, and performance under pressure more than true memory or focus or mental agility.

But great stuff astefano, good to see you improving, you obviously have a good brain!

1 Like