16 and looking for a diagnosis?

Most undiagnosed szs are undiagnosed because they have never sought a diagnosis. You don’t fit that profile. If you have been up front about your symptoms, you will need to trust that your doctor knows what he’s doing. Treatment for symptoms is msinly the same across diagnoses.

2 Likes

How often does this happen?

Can you think of some benefits to not having the label?

What are the benefits you see to having the label?

I tend to think there are probably more benefits to not having the label to having it.

1 Like

I would say that I may be paranoid schizophrenic or schizoaffective. I may be bipolar, but I’m not too sure about that. I sympathize with your frustration with not being diagnosed with anything that has clearly been affecting you negatively, as I’ve gone through it myself. I would often think things like, ‘I’m clearly displaying the symptoms of it, so why don’t we just diagnose me with it now and we can all move on?’

It definitely is aggravating to deal with doctors being slow to diagnose you, there’s no lie in that. But please try to be patient when it comes to this, because schizophrenia can be a debilitating thing to deal with and most doctors don’t want to just rush and say, “Yeah, you’ve got schizophrenia”.

As for self-diagnosing, I personally don’t agree with it. But if you truly feel like you do have schizophrenia, you can say that you are. Just please be careful when you do that, though.

3 Likes