13 things mentally strong people don't do

Mental strength isn’t often reflected in what you do. It’s usually seen in what you don’t do.

In her book “13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do,” Amy Morin writes that developing mental strength is a “three-pronged approach.” It’s about controlling your thoughts, behaviors, and emotions.

Following are 13 things that mentally strong people do not do, Morin says.

1. They don’t waste time feeling sorry for themselves.

2. They don’t shy away from change.

3. They don’t give away their power.

4. They don’t focus on things they can’t control.

5. They don’t worry about pleasing everyone.

6. They don’t fear taking calculated risks.

7. They don’t dwell on the past.

8. They don’t make the same mistakes over and over.

9. They don’t resent other people’s success.

10. They don’t give up after the first failure.

11. They don’t fear alone time.

12. They don’t feel the world owes them anything.

13. They don’t expect immediate results.

11 Likes

Great article. I think that we all can take at least one to heart.

2 Likes

Yeah, I found this article last night and kept thinking it can serve me as a guide, I think personally I tend to fail at all those issues :smile: It can help me be a stronger person dealing with the adversity this illness brings

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking as I read it! I’m not sure it’s a valid list to be honest. :confused:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not lol :smile: It’s up for discussion

2 Likes

I think I’m good on most of them. However when the same things happen over and over I blame sz.
But that doesn’t solve them. I have to fix that and quit blaming illness which relates to “don’t focus on things they can’t control.” So ME focus on wellness, not illness.

3 Likes

Need to work on these things for sure and I am !

2 Likes

I don’t know. Back when I was delusional, that described me to a T. But I wasn’t actually mentally strong. I was living in a fantasy world where everything was wonderful and no bad things ever happened. People would tell me how strong I was to be able to function through such adversity, when in reality I just wasn’t recognizing any of the challenges I faced. It was a useful coping mechanism at the time, but I much prefer being the way I am now. Things actually affect me and I’m okay with that, even when it means extra bouts of self pity.

I guess now the goal is to be able to do all of those things in the real world too, but it just doesn’t seem possible to me. Everyone is supposed to fail in at least one category. That’s how we know we are humans.

2 Likes

Me too. And I agree. Living with this in reality is a challenge for us

1 Like

Looks like im pretty strong :smile:
And i do consider myself strong, not saying in an arrogant way. Id say im a typical scorpio, we are born survivors.

4 Likes

:smiley: thats wonderful

2 Likes

This is a good article.

I can see I need work with a few… I do shy away from change.
I do worry about pleasing other people a lot
I am not so brave in the face of risk.

But for the others… I think I’m getting a little stronger… a little better everyday.

5 Likes

“They don’t feel that the world owes them anything” - that’s a big one. A full life is created, not expected. I know it’s hard when we are behind due to sz, but life is about cause and effect. To cause satisfaction, we have to effect change.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who has had the daydream of being Betty Draper from Mad Men?

I mean the horseback riding, alcoholism, smoking, perfect hair, and ruling the neighborhood. How can you go wrong?

:wink:

3 Likes