What do you tell people when they ask "what do you do?"

I’m currently on disability for my SZ. I don’t know if I’ll ever be well enough to work, but I have hope. One of the most embarrassing things for me is when someone asks me what I do for work. I never know what to say. I’m too embarrassed to say I’m on disability. I just don’t want a bunch of questions about my illness; it’s no one’s business. Most of the time I just lie and say I’m in real estate, which is what I used to do. I just hate lying to people.

The fear I have over this subject is so great that I tend to shy away from meeting people. I have really isolated myself; not good.

Anyway, any suggestions of what I might do?

5 Likes

You could just call it an early retirement… Disability and retirement are practically the same thing…

I can’t really do this yet because I’m not yet anywhere near looking like a retired chap… though I do live like one.

You don’t really have to explain it beyond saying your retired… Just say you had parents who were money-wise or some ■■■■.

I more or less always tell people the truth. I’m disabled… I suffer from schizophrenia… etc… or I tell them I clean a bar in the mornings (true on some days)

1 Like

When I was off work because of my illness and was asked about work, I just said I help a buddy do Handyman repairs during the day.

It’s a pretty general comment that doesn’t usually involve further questions. Even if there are more questions, just say you help with painting and deck work, and clean up…etc…

1 Like

I’ve thought about doing that, but I’m only 44. Actually I look like I’m in my early 30’s. Good thought though!

1 Like

It’s kind of like ripping off a band-aid. You don’t want to waste time trying to bond with people who would judge you for being on disability, so it’s better to just get it out of the way when it comes up, and let people go early on who prove they are wads. However it can be painful and scary in the moment if it happens. But worth it.

5 Likes

I usually say I’m taking a break.

2 Likes

I tell them that I took an early retirement -

1 Like

i m saying that i m cleaner at hospital but my real job is a cook.

1 Like

Yes sometimes it can be embarrasing to have sz because some people insensitive and harsh.but later that i m thinking that what if that insensitive ■■■■■■■■ was have same disease as me?do they have same strong attitude.do they going strong like us?i don t think so.so don t be embarrased for yourself.it s just a disease and every people have same disease like us must have disability.its just normal

1 Like

i tell them i’m a bum

3 Likes

yeah, how about just being honest but make it sound positive like, ‘i can’t work right now but i’m hoping to get back some time in the future’ or just say ‘nothing just now but i’m trying my best’

2 Likes

I tell people I have Schizophrenia. It’s better to be truthfully honest. At least you will see what kind of people they are.

4 Likes

I say im a secret agent and a tutor

2 Likes

I tell them that I’m a disabled veteran. If they ask why I’m disabled, I tell them I don’t like to talk about it.

3 Likes

The trick is to answer as vaguely as possible while also implying as much as possible:

Go big or go home.

9 Likes

I tell people I do anything for cash . . .

5 Likes

I usually tell people I use to work third shift at Walmart but I got sick and that usually ends it right there.

1 Like

This has always been a question I’ve feared. Now I simply avoid people at all cost for other reasons so it doesn’t come up much.

1 Like

I simply say I don’t do anything. I always qualify this by saying I have never worked. When I am met with incredulity on that one, I say I have have had money from my mother, who was an heiress to the Cannon sheet and towel fortune. When I am met with incredulity on that one, I stop talking. i have said all I can about the subject. People usually envy me. I usually meet the envy with: "I’ve never had the experience of working for a living…Having a boss and a livelihood…the dignity of the paycheck… Being a part of the workforce…Getting up in the morning to a job and going home in the evening. I say I have missed out on a common experience everyone has to go through…That which makes a person a person in this society. They usually say: “You aren’t missing anything.”

3 Likes

I tell people I’m waiting to start working again and that I’m on unemployment benefits.

1 Like