Vitamin D deficiency raises risk of schizophrenia diagnosis

Vitamin D-deficient individuals are twice as likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia as people who have sufficient levels of the vitamin, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and is needed for bone and muscle health. The skin naturally produces this vitamin after exposure to sunlight. People also obtain smaller amounts of the vitamin through foods, such as milk fortified with vitamin D. More than 1 billion people worldwide are estimated to have deficient levels of vitamin D due to limited sunshine exposure.

Schizophrenia is a mental illness with symptoms that can include delusions and hallucinations. Since schizophrenia is more prevalent in high latitudes and cold climates, researchers have theorized vitamin D may be connected to the disorder.

“This is the first comprehensive meta-analysis to study the relationship between the two conditions,” said one of the study’s authors, Ahmad Esmaillzadeh, PhD, of the Isfahan University of Medical Sciences in Isfahan, Iran. “When we examined the findings of several observational studies on vitamin D and schizophrenia, we found people with schizophrenia have lower vitamin D levels than healthy people. Vitamin D deficiency is quite common among people with schizophrenia.”

The researchers reviewed the findings of 19 observational studies that assessed the link between vitamin D and schizophrenia. Combined, the studies looked at vitamin D levels and the mental health of 2,804 adult participants. The studies used blood tests to determine each participant’s vitamin D levels.

The meta-analysis found that people with schizophrenia had significantly lower levels of vitamin D in the blood compared to the control groups. The average difference in vitamin D levels between schizophrenic patients and control participants was -5.91 ng/ml. People with vitamin D deficiency were 2.16 times more likely to have schizophrenia than those with sufficient vitamin D in their bloodstreams. In addition, 65 percent of the participants who had schizophrenia also were vitamin D deficient.

“There is a growing trend in the nutrition science field to consider vitamin D and its relationship to conditions such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease and depression,” Esmaillzadeh said. “Our findings support the theory that vitamin D may have a significant impact on psychiatric health. More research is needed to determine how the growing problem of vitamin D deficiency may be affecting our overall health.”

5 Likes

That’s really interesting! I’ve had low Vitamin D levels for a while. In addition to taking it every day I would take a mega dose once a week. I did that for a while, but now just take it every day. I don’t spend much time in the sun, but I do drink a lot of milk. Thanks for sharing this! :sunny:

I have a vitamin D deficiency. I take two vitamin D tables every night along with the rest of my medication…

i also have vitamin d deficiency. i was tested not that long ago. i was taking vitamin d pills too but i ran out and never went back to the doctor. oh well.

I have vit D deficiency too and take a supplement.

My blood tests showed I had low Vitamin D, I supplemented a little and its levels got higher, but my physician said she would still like to see my Vitamin D level in the high normal range.

I also had low vitamine D. I eat Calcium+D pills in winter. In summer I try to be out doors as much as I can and let the sun give me vitamine D.

1 Like

Hmm there are other variables to consider.

Many people with a mental illness aren’t outdoors playing ball or getting sun-tans; they’re usually at home or in bed, especially people with depression, agoraphobia, anxiety and phobic disorders. Obviously these people will have low Vit D as a result.

4 Likes

Good point,Louisa…

I just found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency - very interesting stuff @firemonkey - very interesting …

I buy my vit D from iherb. I think they have the best deals on it.

i have vit. D deficiency, a year ago I bought Vitamin D supplement and took it for 2 months, it was about 5000iu.
after I been tested I am still deficient. next time I see my doctor I am going to ask her to retest me and if possible prescribe me one of those high dose, that its taken once a week, some of my symptoms might disappear.

Humans are not created to be indoors in front of the TV. they are created to be outdoor harvesting and hunting under the sun. I don’t know why there is Sunshine skin cancer exist. The sun is for every living species and for everything. Humans have ruined the atmosphere with pollution that now from the sun people are in danger of getting skin cancer.

2 Likes

I am a vegetarian. Since eggs are dairy, I serve up eggs with shiitake mushrooms and slices of Austrailian 3 year cheese and other edibles. Therefore, I receive all my Vit. D from my vegetarian fed, cage and range free eggs bought from ethical farmers, not sourced from Factory Farms. I also supplement with Garden of Life Meal Replacement–all non-GMO, organic, WHOLE FOODs!!!

I never purchase synthetic OTC vitamins or trace minerals.

As food from ethical farmers and the human body intrigue me and I love to read up on how our bodies function with vitamins and trace minerals, I know synthetic options will never fly in my book.

Once everyone supports ethical farming, diets will improve and folks with become more energetic and healthy.

1 Like

My doctor told me to supplement with 1000iu of vitamin D3 everyday on top of my multivitamin which has 500iu of vitamin D3 - so eventually 1500iu D3 daily - this should bring up my numbers within normal range - I have a mild/moderate deficiency
I may take more, we shall see

my bloodtest also showed a low vitamineD
i am now taking a supplement for it.

1 Like

it will be great if the Admin create a poll about the vitamin D deficiency and make it stand on top of the forum… maybe those that are not deficient have lessor symptoms than those who are deficient.

I do feel defeience but just a little bit, who know once my D level becomes optimum i might feel much better

My son who was diagnosed with schizophrenia was given by his psychiatrist a prescribed Vitamin D to be taken once a week as supplemental to his meds. I’m thankful for this forum as I read about supplemental vitamins and my son’s doctor prescribed this once a week vitamin D.
It’s really do important our loved ones well being is collaboration of family members, doctors and our loved ones acknowledgement of their need of support.