This is the kind of computer I would assemble and sell

Newegg is the ■■■■.
aside from not being DDR4 this rig is pretty much top of the line in terms of power. It’s not the most power efficient build. It’s the most bang for your buck I could arrange. The ssd to could be upgraded tacking on a 100 to 200 dollars.

I was aiming for the 1000 price point.

Id assemble it and tack on an extra 100 dollars.

I guess the operating system is missing. Be another couple hundred.

So 1.5k for a larger ssd and windows 10… err 7 for now with free upgrade in first year. I’d get my hundred dollars out of it. This build compares to machines that cost 500 to 1000 dollars more from what I’ve seen.

I’ve been hearing good things about the windows 10 technical preview. Read somewhere ultimate mouse and keyboard experience…

Sorry for uploading a near full screen bmp @szadmin. I wont do it again.

Any of you ever assemble a computer?

2 Likes

I’ve been building my own computers since 2001. Love the price discount and the self-satisfaction I get from when it POSTs the first time.

1 Like

Yeah that feeling is great…
Another good one is when something falls on it and it doesnt seem to boot. The you replace the graphics card and everything is good again.

Haha. When did you tackle your first build?

A few years ago… still running.

I had built a few computers before I guess. Took a lot of pc repair classes. Old hardware was cheap to come by but the components werent always compatible. It was always tricky with those to get a good modern OS running. Linux always works but it doesnt always have the software.

1 Like

I build a new one every 18-24 months. The old ones go to friends who need one. Sometimes I’ll harvest a few parts out of them, but rarely. I never buy Windows unless I’m getting paid by someone else to do the build. I have 2 computers. One is a Chromebook, and the other is an Intel 8-core that runs Linux Mint 16.

Nice. I’ve got windows 7 windows 8 didnt support older games very well or at all really. Ive also got a laptop running ubuntu(much preferred over windows 8). Mint looks nice. Never installed it I heard it runs on the raspberry pi but they did it best with raspbian.

My friend is really into the raspberry pi, and he said he got Linux Mint 17.1 to work on it.

It’ll browse the internet and load images. Can’t stream video even though it can run HD video files… It has minecraft lol… thats about it. They just released the second iteration with signifigant boosts. Probably the cheapest computer you can find. Apparently it runs windows 10. Not that that would matter to you.

It’s cool for programming.

For purely selfish reasons, I’m looking forward to Windows 10. My wife’s laptop runs 8.1 and I HATE it. Can’t ■■■■■■■ stand it! What a POS. As soon as 10 comes out, she’s getting an upgrade.

Yeah 8 is terrible. As it should be the upgrade is free and so are updates. I’ll keep my win7 install disc handy in case I’m disappointed. The upgrade should be smooth though. No need to back up files or anything it migrates them all.

Backing up first is always a good, sound thing to do. They say it’ll be smooth, but in my time, I’ve learned not to trust the folks in Redmond. I wouldn’t chance my data to their auto-upgrade. Just my luck I’d lose it all. :angry:

Your probably right… I don’t really have any data on this computer. I use google drive. I do have a few games and steam though. Things you can’t really back up. Hopefully its smooth. If not it might take me a couple hours to get everything back in place. Hopefully 10 is compatible with older software.

I read that backwards-compatibility is going to be a huge part of 10.

That’s reassuring.

I used to sell white box computers. Problem I had was that the people who bought them blamed every stupid thing they ever did on me. Click OK and install a bunch of spyware that slows the machine down to a crawl? Obviously MY fault and something I need to spent ten hours fixing. When all was said and done, Wal-mart wages looked pretty darn good. Not something I’ll ever do again.

Tried my hand at fixing PCs for a few years, but quit that when it got cheaper to buy a new one than fix an old one. Not trying to be a downer, but that’s my experience from working in the industry in Western Canada.

10-96

I’m running Win 10 TechPreview on 2x systems. Very stable so far. No issues. The only blow-up I’ve had in the past month has had to do with an iTunes upgrade borking on my Win 8.1 laptop. Had to go to a special release for older video cards (the laptop is only 2 months old). My year old Acer and 5 year old desktop running TechPreview are running the new version of iTunes just fine.

10-96

Good to hear. There would definitely be a contract or… what is the proper word? Purchase agreement maybe. I’d respect and process the warranties from the manufacturers if something fails… I would also have repair services at a cost… People are ■■■■■■■ stupid though I havent gotten a virus in years. My solution has always been to just do a fresh install but most people dont even know how to back up their files. Yeah there would definitely be an agreement that would be signed to make it clear that I’m not accountable for anything but failing hardware within warranty. If they want me to repair it then it’ll cost.

I don’t really know I need a future and nobody does custom rigs around here. There might be a reason for that. I’m gonna mull over it for a couple years before I really get serious.

i usually upgrade my pc 4-5 years, last october i had to upgrade my graphics card. current specs are: i7 920 D0 w/ corsair h50, gigabyte ex58-ud5, msi r9 280x twinfrozr, 8gb ram, 1000w psu, antec df-30

hopefully it will last me a few more years yet…it will probably be a full upgrade next time when i decide to though.

yea i went from xp then to 7. ill see what 10 is like but i will probably migrate to it

I went with AMD the i series was really new and still expensive. phenom 6 core 3.2 ghz. 16 gigs(unecessary but feels good) of some low power ddr3 1600 4x4 config. Gotta a piece of ■■■■ graphics card for 35 or 40 dollars. Runs media and the operating system and older games just fine. 750W power supply. 6gb/s ssd over SATA III. All I need to do is get a new graphics card. Probably would if there were any good games out that required it. I’m not a fan of the FPS genre unless its halo. Portal is cool too. The next major installment in the Elder Scrolls franchise (ESO dont count) will probably trigger me buying a new card.

You system sounds like it should last for a while. Unless you want to max out the next FPS or get a 8k display or something like that.