Schizophrenia Linked to Increased Breast Cancer Risk if you use certain APs

It seems to be related to increased prolactin from a few APs.

They found that women with schizophrenia who were using risperidone (Risperdal, Janssen), paliperidone (Invega, Janssen), or amisulpride (multiple brands), which have been associated with increased prolactin levels, had a higher risk for breast cancer compared to those without schizophrenia (HR, 1.96; 95% CI, 1.36 - 2.82). However, the risk was not significantly higher among women who were receiving any of the other second-generation antipsychotics.

I take invega. I get my prolactin levels checked every six months and they aren’t raised, thankfully. I guess genetic inheritance would come into play a bit too and there’s no breast cancer in my family.

I should probably be more worried about my smoking and talcum powder use.

1 Like

Apparently adding a small amount of abilify (like even 2mg) can lower prolactin.

http://www.mdedge.com/clinicalpsychiatrynews/article/80156/pediatrics/adding-aripiprazole-can-reduce-stubborn-prolactin

1 Like

nooo my prolactin levels are way high and have been since like 2005! I was lactating for years! Oh geeze, now I have to worry about breast cancer! eeeek

I’m on abilify and i lactated throughout the time, from 2008 or 2009 up until maybe 2013 or 2014. Now, I can still squeeze out dribbles of milk, but I don’t get that “I’m swollen with milk” feeling anymore.

1 Like

Lovely… my doc is just about to change my meds due to increased prolactin level, I am on Amisulpride… ehhhh… breast cancer it another thing I need now… :confused:

1 Like

I’m also concerned that AP’s like Risperidone causing Breast Cancer in males as well.
I’ve been on Risperidone for years and noticed some minor Breast pain once in a while.
Although my prolactin levels have not been that high.

2 Likes

I’m on Consta and my prolactin has been elevated.

Male breast cancer risk according to WeGene.

If women get breast cancer then what happens to us guys? Cancer of the prick ?

1 Like