Risperdal side-effects (breasts and libido?)

was put on a low dose of risperdal (0.5mg) a week ago and have noticed that my breasts are feeling tender/sore, i googled this and read that this particular pill can cause breast growth and lactation. i don’t want this to happen to me because my breasts are already abnormally large and it makes bra shopping really difficult, it also has an impact on my self-esteem. i was wondering if anyone here had experiences with these side-effects while on risperdal (or any other antipsychotics so i know which ones to avoid) i am not trying to get out of taking my medication but if this is a strong possibility i’d like to switch to another one asap—which brings me to another thing i’m wondering about and that is zyprexa, does it have a lesser chance of causing breast-related side-effects or is it the same? if anyone can provide any input i would be very appreciative, because these pills really scare me so i have a history of not being compliant with treatment and i just want to find one i can tolerate if i’m going to make this work. i’d also really like to keep my libido because it’s important to me. some people have drugs, some have alchohol, some have gambling, i have masturbation and that is literally all i have.

1 Like

I am on Risperdal and I have breast soreness from time to time - Risperdal raises prolactin and may cause enlarged breast tissue - Gynecomastia.

Zyprexa does not tend to raise prolactin - not as common as Risperdal, and it is not know for causing Gynecomastia - breast swelling, soreness.
If it was not for the fact that Zyprexa raises blood sugar levels significantly, I would be on it right now.

Most of your antipsychotics will have some kind of effect on your libido - Latuda, Abilify, Geodon usually less than most

1 Like

If you’ve noticed the effects this quickly then I’d say switch asap.

Your doc should be able to hook you up with someone else.

I took that medicine, and I did develop breasts and as a guy I hated it. Also, yes my libido decreased due to the high amount I took and the sedation I experienced. It’s a rough little pill.

B6 helps lower prolactin. I take 200mg at night with my Risperidal. It also helps diminish akathisia.

1 Like