Npr - Do Fairies Live In The Multiverse?

When I became a physicist, my dream was simple, even if ambitious: I wanted to understand nature, to build theories that would make predictions that would eventually be verified by experiments. I would then be like those heroes of physical science — Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Antoine Lavoisier, Niels Henrik, David Bohr — people who built narratives that pried open some of nature’s secrets; people who were able to see the essence of physical reality beyond most of us.

After many years as a physicist, the ambition has been checked down, of course. Most modern scientists give smaller contributions to knowledge than these giants. Science has changed a lot since the early 20th century, moved away from the lone seeker of truth to a collective effort, sometimes combining the efforts of thousands of people in the development of theories and of experiments designed to test them.

However, the essential nature of the scientific enterprise has remained the same: Hypotheses must be checked by experiments. Ideally, these experiments should be repeatable so that more than one group obtains the same results, although in practice this may be complicated due to implementation and cost challenges. What appears to be a very eccentric idea may well be verified; likewise, what may be perfectly reasonable may be ruled out.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2015/03/04/390672748/do-fairies-live-in-the-multiverse?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150304

2 Likes

I do believe in fairies! I do! I do! :wink:

3 Likes

Here is the rub: Should a theory be deemed successful if “it helps us account for the data” even if we can’t ever verify its fundamental premise (in this case, the existence of the multiverse)? Can such a theory be called “empirical?” I would say it can’t. Surely, such theory is helpful as a placeholder, as something to hold on to and use as a test-bed for ideas. Countless papers are being written on the multiverse and its potential properties — and that’s a good thing. The last thing we want is to censor a scientist’s creative freedom. But a theory that presumes the existence of physical entities whose reality cannot be verified to a certain degree cannot be called a physical theory.

Adient influences emerge concerning physically unseen and unverified entities.

Marcelo Gleiser raises the notion there are empirical physical theories and there are placeholder theories.

Straying away from the issue of categorizing theories, asking as to how these multiverse entities will be studied and observed differently as compared to this world’s archived anthropological studies of world-wide fairy-faith, what kind of new placeholder will become the foundation of the origins of these multiverse entities? What kind of placeholder will these multiverse entities originate from that differs from this universe’s written “Anthropological Examination”?

These origins are the work of W.Y. Evans-Wentz from The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries AN ANTHROPOLOGICAL EXAMINATION OF THE EVIDENCE.

Anthropology is concerned with man and what is in man–humani nihil a se alienum putat.–ANDREW LANG.

The Celtic Fairy-Faith as part of a World-wide Animism–Shaping Influence of Social Psychology–Smallness of Elvish Spirits and Fairies, according to Ethnology, Animism, and Occult Sciences–The Changeling Belief and its explanation according to the Kidnap, Human-Sacrifice, Soul-Wandering, and Demon-Possession Theory–Ancient and Modern Magic and Witchcraft shown to be based on definite psychological laws–Exorcisms–Taboos, of Name, Food, Iron, Place–Taboos among Ancient Celts–Food-Sacrifice–Legend of the Dead–Conclusion: The background of the modern belief in Fairies is animistic.

2 Likes

Of course. They put a couple bucks under my pillow everytime I lost a tooth as a kid.

5 Likes

Why of course they do!

There are different types of "faeies’ too…the actual Faerie race like the Tuatha D’Dannan of Ireland and Scotland, which are basically people with a specific bloodline that can trace back to the Egyptians, Scythians, Sumerian Anunnaki…
Then you have the diminutive faeries often associated with nature, from whom Tinkerbell was derived, and waht seem to be being discussed in this article.
Multiverse, interdimensional (extra space dimensions) is a realm or realms, having been believed in by most religions and theorized by science.

I disagree that they cannot be seen or detected by us, for they can. However it seems to be a rather ghostly type of manifestation, allowing someone to see them visibly, (sometimes very clearly and sometimes phased), hear them at times, or for cameras to catch them on occasion.

2 Likes

Uhhhh thats dangerous thinking, best just get back to work.

1 Like

If there is vast number of universes in the multiverse they might.

2 Likes

No fairies or angels. Its horseshit.

Best wishes,
Padster

yes
take care :alien:

I do not understand the scientific article you presented. I do understand that there are faeries, elves, little people everywhere. There are many dimensions to this glorious universe. We should not be afraid. We should embrace it always. Seek the MAGIC. It is your heart, spirit, mind and even your body!

1 Like

Nice work stirring people up @barbiebf.

Gets the spirits high -

1 Like
1 Like

@Dreamscape

True, not all Fae are like Tinkerbell…

When considered as beings that a person might actually encounter, fairies were noted for their mischief and malice. In Scotland fairies were often mischievous and to be feared. No one dared to set foot in the mill or kiln at night

Like anything else there are those who do good and those who can act very badly. they are something to have a healthy respect for… and a respect for nature often can avert any of the mischief.

These are the elemental faeries and spirits. There is also the faerie race

The Tuath(a) Dé Danann (usually translated as “people(s)/tribe(s) of the goddess Danu”), also known by the earlier name Tuath Dé (“tribe of the gods”), are a race of supernaturally-gifted people in Irish mythology.
When the fairy race of the Tuatha dé Danann arrived in Ireland, they came like a mist across the waters, bringing with them magical gifts. These were the lia fail – the coronation stone, the spear of Lugh, the sword of Nuada, and the great cauldron of the Dagda, which was said to be able to restore life.
After the Milesians defeated the Dananns, the Dananns either retreated to Tir na n-Og (“Land of Youth”) or they continued to lived on the land with the Milesians, but their homes (subterranean palaces) were hidden by magic from the eyes of mortals. Their homes were commonly called Sidhe (síd or sídh) or the Otherworld
http://www.faerymysterium.com/of-faeries--trees.html

(Tolkien borrowed from some of this and Scandinavian mythology in his writings, especially regarding the Elves so anyone familiar with Lord of the Rings might see some similarities. Historically the Tuatha De are real people.)

Surprised no ones mentioned the Hobbits as in Homo floresiensis not the ones from Middle Earth. Tends to be where my mind goes on Dwarves, Elves and faeries these days. Some scientific evidence of the possibility of other humanoid races in our past.