Nintendo great pedigree but needs more new people at board levelo

the Wii U has fallen flat on its ass , the wii while everyone picked up the console , just collected dust and remained juvinile considering gaming demographics were changing ( gamers were gettn older )

if nintendo go the way of sega , it would be sad. so much experience , history and pedigree.

they need to get gamers back , I honestly believe the next console should be a bridging one , such is the damage , if it could come in with 30 mil units life cycle sales , regain some of their credentials , and then blow competitors out of the water with the following console.

http://2e130c55e0c2763c8a20-c7a4d0feffd26319b59c92c4aecae366.r18.cf1.rackcdn.com/30b67d6914450233d81fe25a3cdda80c63404544.jpg

very cool , never owned one , used to play at my cousins house. my gaming started with the sinclair spectrum

2 Likes

Here’s the original version of the spectrum, rubber keys, and no built in tape.

:slight_smile: I started codeing on the spectrum using basic :smiley:

Wow! That’s an early start!

I love my Wii so much that I purchased a couple of spares cheap to use if my main unit gaaks. It’s the best video game system I have ever owned. Especially enjoy Mario Kart races with my brat. The Wii U was an obvious woofer. Am interested in the X-box, but not at those prices!

Don’t see why Nintendo can’t just release apps for Android.

Pixel.

I owned its predecessor:

Not useful for much beyond learning a bit of programming. If the machine was any more limited it would have competed in the Special Olympics of computing.

Pixel.

1 Like

they are releasing mobile apps next year. man if you like the wii one word softmod. its simple to do and will blow your mind , if you thinks its good now.

The thing is, there is a very viable market in the low age group which the other console makers don’t really target. Nintendo aces that stuff and so most households have a Wii for the young ones to play on.

Nintendos profits come from hardware and software sales. If they would start making their core titles for android they’d lose out on a very lucrative hardware market.

yeah , but you need parents to buy the consoles. the sad fact is, nintendo lost the parents man , they no longer need to buy a console to fob of there kids , they buy them tablets , hand helds , etc.

nintendo plain and simply need to make their consoles sexy again to adults. and that means powerful graphics cards , large hard disks , the potential of mature gaming , etc

The people in the field would all move onto new companies. Could be a good thing.

I don’t know, I’d rather have my kid playing on a Nintendo 3DS rather than a tablet with some shooters on it. Tablet as an educational tool, fine, but you have to be so careful what software you allow.

But I take your point, the dynamic has changed, nag power is much reduced. But there is still a need for a family console, where parents and kids can play together on the big screen.

I think Nintendo need to a Pixar, where they make cross over products that can appeal to both groups and can be played together. But I would go the whole hog to mature content, that is losing their key demographic.

Pixar is animation/software based , although they have had to innovate on hardware , granted.

Nintendo are trying to spread the risk , they are diversifying. I heard yesterday that the new console is not going to compete with the ps4 on technology , I’ll call it now , if the hardware is not at least as powerful as the ps4 , then that console is DOA. Nintendo will drop out of the home console market for 5/10 years and focus on handhelds & mobile devices.

The console is, for the most part, a unitasker in that it mainly only does one thing well, it’s not portable, and the games cost too friggin’ much. Speaking as a parent, a tablet is a much better value proposition, especially since my daughter can use it for schoolwork and creating multimedia.

Except for my video and photo system, all of my work is stored on the cloud now. In fact, everything I have is backed up on the cloud now. I no longer have to live in fear of hard disc failures. A big hard disk isn’t really a selling point for me, except for my business needs. Certainly not for recreation.

I’m not sure what you consider mature gaming… My wife and I like to play trivia and word games together. Super Mario Kart gives us both vertigo so the kid always wins. We do like the fitness games. I can’t see us playing Call of Duty together as neither of us likes violence. And the GTA games strike me as nothing more than utter trash that promote the worst sort of behaviour.

Pixel.

You know well :grin:, the epic , big , free roaming games with mature themes ; moderate violence , some coarse language , sexual tension/references , cultural commentary , etc , etc

That’s fair enough but that’s where the majority of people that are purchasing consoles are at.