Music, dopamine release and increased positive symptoms

Very basically, the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia says high level of dopamine in a part of schizophrenic’s brain (nucleus accumbens) causes the positive symptoms (hallucinations, delusions…).

this study (Anatomically distinct dopamine release during anticipation and experience of peak emotion to music) says:
“Using the neurochemical specificity of [11C]raclopride positron emission tomography scanning, combined with psychophysiological measures of autonomic nervous system activity, we found endogenous dopamine release in the striatum at peak emotional arousal during music listening.”
“These results indicate that intense pleasure in response to music can lead to dopamine release in the striatal system.”

In the BBC news: Music ‘releases mood-enhancing chemical in the brain’
“In this study, levels of dopamine were found to be up to 9% higher when volunteers were listening to music they enjoyed.”

Logically, we can infer that music has the ability to increase psychosis in schizophrenics.

Based on my personal experience, I fully agree with this. If I listen to music for some time, I can see that it increases my hallucinations. I get caught up in them much more easily. Effects of music are similar to cannabis high for me. It definitely deepens psychosis for me, makes symptoms harder to control…

Also, I find that music is addictive for me. Considering its effects on brain, it’s understandable that it can be addictive for human beings.

Regards.

2 Likes

I agree with this. When I’m in psychosis, I walk around for days with my headphones on.

Then the voices never shut up and I can’t sleep.

1 Like

This is stupid,in case that music contributes psychosis.When I’m down,it’s the only thing that helps me through crises.If I understood,it in increases dopamine in some level.Whats wrong with that?

Everyones different. Your dopamine is probably already blocked from Antipsychotics, so the music increases it and lifts your mood.

I’m on barely any AP so I’m easily stimulated.

1 Like

I take Clozapine which has no affinity for dopamine receptors.

I walked around with headphones on too, music played a big part in my psychosis. I couldn’t stop listening.

1 Like

I get a strange sensation many times when I’m listening to music or seeing any type of entertainment. I’ll be enjoying it up until the high point and then I just feel this nasty crash of emotion that just hurts. And makes my body jerk. I’m not sure what it is. It’s like a complete malfunction in the processing of excitement.

I sometimes get so tense my knees will hurt for the rest of the day. The emotion bunches up in my knees.

1 Like

i think designating moments of silence is a good thing or turn volume down sometimes

1 Like