#me too on social media

Women are posting messages on social media to show how commonplace sexual assault and harassment are, using the hashtag #MeToo to express that they, too, have been victims of such misconduct.

3 Likes

I have a lot of mixed feelings about what is happening here.

3 Likes

The girl who did so to me was known to shout out that someone had raped her. When it came to me, there was force involved and I had a little bit to drink before she intimidated me into doing.

I like that we are all saying this wrong, as a community.

And I admire the women that came forward initally, because it could have hurt them and their careers.

I don’t like all the #metoo action.

All these people just step on board when the timing is right and the spotlight is on, it seems…

Opportunistic

The feminist part of me hates saying that.

They probably (definitely) were harassed, and that’s wrong,

It just bothers me that they wait until someone else has taken the risk and it can give them a little limelight.

I feel like it diminishes the seriousness of what is going on.

Maybe I’m just a jerk, I don’t know.

2 Likes

So I was reading a news article earlier today. Not in English. Anyway… This woman was talking about sexual harassment, and how it’s seen as acceptable by society. And then she came up with an example. A man approached a female writer of some kind, maybe the woman who wrote the article, and he said “Hi, what you wrote was nice. Want to go on a date?”…

What? How is that sexual harassment?

I feel like these kinds of overreactions are becoming pretty commonplace. And it’s taking attention away from the real issues. Because there are real issues. Just look at a certain unnamed president. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Maybe those kinds of women are just bullies…? In that case we have a whole different problem.

I agree,

All these stories that are kinda bullshitty are distracting from the very serious issues women actually deal with.

Made worse by the fact that looking at someone is considered harassment these days, and its these women that are making all the fuss,

Those of us who have had to put up with systematic abuse have just learned to cope.

1 Like

It is not only women, it is men too.
This particular Hollywood producer is worse than a real monster.

1 Like

Who knew that Hollywood movie producers were such sleaze bags?

:rofl::grinning::neutral_face::expressionless:

2 Likes

That’s what everybody called me :expressionless:

I’ve been catcalled/hit on a lot by random men who were way older than me but I donno if that counts as sexual harassment. I’ve had guys grab my arm a couple times when I tried to walk by and I don’t think that’s ok.

I think catcalling is gross and embarassing behavior on the guy’s part. Like they don’t know how to talk to women or approach them so they just yell out like they would to an animal. What are they hoping for…plus my anxiety issues would make me terrified that then those guys would come after me. But the only men that I have ever seen catcall were also blatantly very uneducated. So I really think it’s an issue of not knowing how to interact with women.

I also think it’s inappropriate for men to hit on women who are clearly far younger than them. It’s just bad. (Especially when it’s like a high schooler and a middle aged man!! I’ve heard worse too!) Your chances are very slim of getting that girl, and if you want a sugar baby or something there are literally websites for that sort of thing where you’ll have better luck.

The whole thing is just about men not knowing how to react to girls they’re attracted to. And nowadays I feel guys are just bashed for everything so they’re even more confused, back in the old days there were strict social rules in place about how men and women were supposed to interact but now everything’s up in the air…I think for guys as long as a woman is at least around your age, you can feel free to go flirt but if she shows disinterest then back off instead of becoming angry or more persistent. I think if those simple rules were followed everyone would be a lot happier and safer. Personally I’ve never had a guy who absolutely refused to back off even after I politely explained I wasn’t interested and I’m glad for that.

I understand guys getting angry when a girl rudely rejects them but maybe if she does that to you it’s because she’s scared and is becoming defensively aggressive, maybe it’s because your approach was rude and you need to work on it or maybe it’s because she’s just a jerk. Who knows. Preferably everyone could be considerate to everyone all the time but it’s not a perfect world :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Wait everyone called you a sleaze bag or opportunistic?

I’m sorry you went through something like that.

Yeah they did. Just not in those exact words. Even after all the abuse was done (it went on for 2 years) she blamed it all on me. That day it was over is when I had my psychosis.

The reason being everyone blamed me is because she was already telling everyone the things she made me do behind my back (with her own spin of course) and that went on for awhile with out me knowing. So by the time it was over, everyone was already against me.

I tried to explain things and I heard things like “You just made this all about sex with [name omitted]. I’m done trying to help this friendship.”

And also I think when guys turn on girls who turn them down rudely they automatically think “this girl is a jerk who thinks she’s way too good for me” thus making them feel self-conscious and less manly or whatever so then they attack her to feel more dominant again. So maybe we should also be teaching boys when they are young that their self esteem shouldn’t be based on what girls think of them. This way instead of feeling like they are less manly after being rejected they just think “wow she was a jerk, I wouldn’t want to date her anyways” or consider the other reasons a girl may respond that way that I mentioned before and then move on.

I’ve seen this issue a lot online, guys that can’t get girls are known as total losers and their masculinity is bashed. Detaching guy’s self worth from his ability to get a lot of women and have a lot of sex I think is something toxic that if fixed would also make everyone a lot happier and safer.

1 Like

@Anna I think that if a girl rejects a guy no matter how rudely he needs to accept it and move on.
That’s my position.

As a man I know that will never happen. Guys are hardwired to gather resources (and yes a companion is a resource). And they (not all) base their social value on the resources they have. Because what gets them anywhere in life is their resources.

1 Like

@anon1571434 you are wrong, you speak for yourself but not for anybody else.

That’s the same thing I said, I completely agree with you.

I was just explaining why I think the guys that get violent get violent. It’s totally wrong either way.

1 Like

Sorry, @anon1571434.

I hate that your friends were not there for you in your time of need.

1 Like

@Chess24 Nope. These are things I know because i have studied them. A man’s ego is based on their power, not just mine alone. Take away their power and you leave them with nothing as a person.

That goes both ways as well.