IUD affecting psychosis?

Hey ladies. Does anyone have an IUD? I got mine a month ago and ever since, I’ve been having massive mood swings and extra hallucinations. My doctor couldn’t find any studies on how it affects psychotic folks, so I thought I should ask the masses here. If I don’t level off in a month, she is going to remove it.

Found this ,

Hi, my name is Samantha Rodney and I’m 23 years old. I’m married and have two kids. I got the IUD marina on 8/10/2011 then I started to gain weight started having bad mood swings and than in the beginning of march 2012 I started hallucinating. I ignored it, but it kept getting worse. I started hearing a voice or my self in my head saying things. At the end of March it got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. My husband and I asked if it could be the IUD marina but everybody keep saying no. I said even if it’s the hormone one and they still said no. At that time I was scared and since I have two kids they put me in a mental hospital . They said I was very depressed to the point I went in to psychosis

I was talking to my dr about getting an IUD. Which is better for us, hormonal or copper? @Ninjastar what happened, are you still on it? Anyone else have experience getting one?

If you’re thinking of estrogen, it does many things to do with the 5ht2a receptor (should increase its activation). Could very well explain your hallucinations and mood swings.

1 Like

After a few months, my mood swings and extra hallucinations stopped. I think it took like three months. I’ve now had it in for almost a year, and I love it. I have the hormonal one. If you’re sensitive to the hormonal changes, it might be better to get the copper one. Just be aware that it can make your period much heavier. I think part of the reason the IUD affected me so much was that, prior to getting it, I wasn’t on any kind of hormonal birth control. My body had to adjust. If you’re already taking the pill, it shouldn’t be as much of a shock to your system.

1 Like

There is no estrogen in a hormonal IUD. It’s progesterone.

1 Like

I have Bipolar 2 with Auditory Schizophrenia. I lead a very active life. So when It was time for me to switch the ObGyn nurse practitioner greatly assured me that the Mirena was perfect and I would have no exacerbated symptoms of my Bipolar 2 and AS. Wrong… she never consulted my other doctors and lied about doing so. I was in a living hell for 1 1/2 years. It ruined my life. When I kept asking if this was the problem she said it must be my mental condition getting worse it was nothing to do with the contraceptive she put in. I even adjusted my meds to fix the “worsening” of my condition. Which was a very mild case to begin with. I lost my relationship because of the rollercoaster it sent me on. This is only my experience. Some people are fine on it. You have to strongly advocate for yourself living with mental illness. Even some doctors try to manipulate. I’m getting mine taken out however.

Hi @TimberGirl

Typically, we like to leave inactive threads alone and just start a new thread instead. This is different than how some forums are run, but we do it this way because it frequently upsets users to have old topics revived when they are no longer relevant. It can also be frustrating to the person who revived the thread when they don’t get a reply, because the original poster is no longer active or no longer finds the topic relevant. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thanks,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator