Imagining things?

my brother is still pushing for our parents to quit meds and me too. said it was all just in our heads…i wanted to say well duh that’s mental illness but instead i just ignored him. i don’t think he realizes how dangerous it is to tell someone they aren’t sick. my brother is bipolar, autistic and has adhd. my father has schizoaffective disorder like me and my mom is bipolar. for the longest time they all believed they weren’t sick that the way they acted and thought was just natural.

My father in-law is against meds. Luckily he doesn’t voice his opinion on the matter often. We’ve gone head to head a few times over it when he tried to get my husband to stop his meds for anxiety and depression. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. It can be exhausting to fight against.

luckily i don’t live with them anymore, but i think its a bad idea for my brother to voice his opinion to our parents when so far the meds are helpful.

2 Likes

I have to deal with this problem very often, I don’t understand why they think that they are more knowledgeable than the researchers and the doctors…

my in laws have the same mind set as my brother. they feel meds don’t help they destroy. i once lost a haldol pill in their blazer (truck) and they found a few weeks later and they totally flipped out and said what if a cop had pulled them over and found the pill they would have gotten taken to jail. i told them they are exaggerating. then my father in law said i needed to get off my meds that they were hindering me but at the same time if i’m out of my meds and can’t get in to the doctor right away they keep me away from my partner’s little sister, nieces and nephews supposedly because i’m dangerous.

1 Like