How do you know you are depressed?

How do you know you are depressed? I’ve started to avoid ppl. I eat alone at work. Hardly talk. I talk if spoken to but not otherwise. I feel slow in my head, like a slug, and have a lot of anxiety. I forget things all the time. I’m easily irritated on small things.

I have an appt with my pdoc tomorrow. Should I say I might be depressed? I don’t know if this is depression or that I’m getting ill…again!
I saw her 2 months ago. That time she increased my Abilify to 20 mg. But I don’t know if it’s still to low or that I need to change meds. Or is it a depression.

you could look up the DSM 5 diagnostic criteria. I consult my abnormal psychology textbook all of the time!

1 Like

I’m no doc but overcame my depression by simpley forgetting that I had it. I must’ve been beaten down for at least seven months feeling every new day like a close loved one died the night before.

The less I focused on believing I was depressed, the quicker the heartache left and I felt contentment again.

Maybe it’s best not to ‘know’ so it’s easier to get over it quicker.

3 Likes

You probably could benefit from Prozac or something like that. Anti depressants typically work best for mild depression so dont feel put off asking your pdoc about this.

Also there is a herbal medicine called Saint Johns Wort. Its pretty effective. It will put a pep in your step.

If I were you, I would definitely go about asking about getting something for this mood/form youre having.

1 Like

Here is the DSM criteria for depression in adults. It might be a good idea to print it out, check off your symptoms, and talk to your doctor about them.

"Diagnostic Criteria

Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5)

The Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5) divides depression into:

1. Major depression
  2. Subthreshold depressive disorder
  3. Persistent depressive disorder (formerly dysthymia).

Major depression:
Five or more of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning. At least one of the symptoms is either depressed mood or loss of interest or pleasure:
-Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as self-reported or observed by others
-Diminished interest or pleasure in all or almost all activities most of the day, nearly every day
-Significant weight loss when not dieting, weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day
-Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day
-Psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day
-Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day
-Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day
-Diminished ability to think or concentrate nearly every day
-Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan.

In addition, these symptoms:
-Cause functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational)
-Are not related to substance abuse.

There are 3 degrees of severity of major depression defined in the DSM-5:

1. Mild: few if any symptoms more than number required for diagnosis of major depression with minor functional impairment
  2. Moderate: more than required number of symptoms for diagnosis of depression with greater intensity and moderate impairment in functioning
  3. Severe: many more symptoms than required for diagnosis of depression with intense functional impairment; psychotic features such as hallucinations or paranoia may be present.

Depressive disorder (subthreshold or minor depression):
The patient has from 2 to 4 depressive symptoms, including either sad mood or anhedonia for at least 2 weeks.

Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia):
The patient has 3 or 4 dysthymic symptoms, including depressed mood, for ≥2 years. Impairment compared with major depressive disorder is less severe. Dysthymic symptoms are as follows:
Depressed mood
Appetite changes
Sleep changes
Low self-esteem
Fatigue
Poor concentration
Hopelessness"

I hope this helps. We’re here to support you, so you’re not alone in this :slight_smile:

Blessings,

Anthony

Source: Epocrates Online, 2014

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

when walking out to the back paddock and blowing my head off , seems like a good idea.
take care

I’m not that ill…yet. Been there before though.

1 Like

I feel like I can say this appropriately now. I love your picture. Stitch is my favorite Disney prince of all times.

1 Like

Depression hits me like a flyby bike messenger. It will sort of puncture me and drain my energy quickly and all of a sudden all the color has been wiped out of my day. The day is all of a sudden rust brown and decaying. I forget what I’m doing and why. I even feel colder and damp and a bit sick to my stomach. My thoughts race into how bad I am, the fact that my life is a farce… It all gets worse from there…

If I’m out in the field I can just use all I can to concentrate on my task at hand and work to shake the damp, sinking feeling of hopelessness.

I’ll call my kid sis at work or at home and she’ll talk me up. I’ll ask her to give me a joke or agree to meet me for lunch. I will grab onto any life line thrown my way. Anything, just to let me know I have someone on my side who can help me get out of this. I’m not afraid to call and instantly blurt out… “hey, I need you to cheer me up right now.”

Sometimes I will go for a walk and try and think of the days in my life that brought me real joy. I will try and loop those days in my head with as much vivid detail as possible. I do have one pic in my wallet that comes close to cheering me up no matter what. I work so hard on not giving in. Eventually the color comes back into my day, I feel warmer again and that punch begins to let go.

:blossom: :hibiscus: :sunflower: :rose: :tulip: :cherry_blossom: :herb: :bouquet: :deciduous_tree: :squirrel:

2 Likes

I think if you laugh lesser and had inability to laugh and feel sad and bored every moment,these are some symptoms of depression

For a long time, I didn’t even know I was truly deeply depressed. I suspected it, but it is difficult to distinguish it from negative symptoms - I have both. I felt slower than usual, in movement and thinking. I was always negative and worried. I did not cry all of the time, but you don’t have to cry to have depression. I would talk to your doctor and mention it

1 Like

might be, its hard to tell sometimes but i’d tell the doc about it anyway and they might help.

I cry a lot when I was depressed. I needed to, but I could only do it if someone was paying attention to me. Now that I think about it, that might be my way of calling for help.
Maybe think of some attention provoking behaviors you engage in (it doesn’t have to be like mine at all) like talking about death a lot, listening to disturbing music, stuff like that. If you are calling for help you might not realize it. I always just thought I was a wuss, but writing this I am starting to think that maybe I don’t possess the words to express the pain.
I think a lot of people don’t. The fact that you realize this might be the case shows good insight and awareness.
Oh, and if you feel ashamed and unworthy, that might be a thing too. I had that happen to me when I was depressed. Constant feelings that I didn’t even deserve to live.

This is long 101 questions

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/depression/self-test.cfm

http://healthnet.umassmed.edu/mhealth/ZungSelfRatedDepressionScale.pdf

http://farmacologiaclinica.info/scales/MADRS/

This raises an interesting question as to how to distinguish between depression and the so called ‘negative’ symptoms of schizophrenia.
I am not diagnosed with sz but experience lack of ambition, drive and motivation. The thing is these appear with depression but at worst i’m only mildly depressed. There’s a constant, resigned feeling of hopelessness and worthlessness but i can’t say i’m especially sad(not suicidal or tearful).

Thank you all. I told my pdoc I might be depressed. That I avoid ppl and isolate. Also that I hear voices but not bad ones. I am trying Fluoxetine for two months and see if it gets better. I hope it does, then it was easily fixed.

I also got 3 appt booked with my psychologist. And then we will see if I need more.

Most important, I’m not suicidal. I’m not that deeply depressed.

I had to answer that kinds of tests today. I had 4 tests to do.