Do you know when you’re depressed?

My mom says I am depressed. She said I have rapid cycling bipolar disorder. I do not feel depressed but I was wondering if maybe you don’t know when you are.

1 Like

I think that’s what the lithium is for. Wait till it kicks in. It helps with mood swings.

1 Like

I don’t have a mood disorder and know I feel depressed right now. Maybe it’s different when you have a mood disorder. Maybe part of that is not having insight into your moods.

1 Like

My mom stopped giving me lithium and gave me old topamax.

1 Like

I see. It’s just strange because every other time I’ve been depressed I knew I was depressed.

1 Like

I don’t think you really realize the extent to which you’re depressed until someone points it out.

1 Like

I didnt know I was until my CPN said all those symptoms add up to depression. Best to talk to ur CPN and psychiatrist about ur symptoms.

1 Like

What’s a CPN? 151515

1 Like

Community psychiatric nurse. Its something we have in UK i dont know about US

1 Like

I know when I’m depressed, everything can be going great, but i have no energy, I could care less about anything, it is a ugly feeling and for me when I get depressed it lasts for a couple of years

1 Like

I see. 1515151515

1 Like

I start to feel trapped.

People usually always know when they are depressed. Do you feel sad or hopeless, @Sardonic? Are you very sad? If not, then you probably aren’t depressed. I wouldn’t listen to your mother if I were you. I would consult with your psychiatrist.

3 Likes

@Sardonic Ask you psychiatrist what your diagnosis is. Don’t go by what your mother says. Go by what your psychiatrist says it is. Your mother is not a doctor. She doesn’t know anything about psychiatry. At least I’m assuming.

2 Likes

No I’m not sad or hopeless. I will ask next time.

1 Like

There are many types and levels of depression. When you have major depression you can’t help but notice. You could have dysthymia and it would go easily unnoticed. That being said, your mother is not a clinician. Yet again if your loved ones are telling you something’s not right that may be a red flag. Best bet, talk to your pdoc. I’ll be holding good thoughts of recovery for you.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone, I appreciate you. I suppose I will have to get everything straightened out next time I see my psychiatrist.

Yes I do because I suddenly feel bored and unmotivated

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.