First hospitalization and diagnosis

I’m just coming off a week of hospitalization, my first ever experience of a psychiatric hospital. While I would rather have not found myself in crisis it was actually a very positive experience.

My pdoc and I had agreed on a change from Seroquel to Risperidone. During the tapering off I went on a business trip and forgot my meds. Didn’t sleep, symptoms began to increase, another sleepless night and things escalated till I wound up in the ER.

During this time I finally received a diagnosis:

Schizo-affective disorder with OCD.

They increased the Risperidone to 3mg nightly with 1 mg to be taken twice daily as needed. They may increase my Sertraline to help with OCD.

I was nervous going in to the hospital - not sure what to expect, how the other patients would be, how the staff would be - but it truly was a positive experience and one that allowed a positive change in Med dosage with continuous medical monitoring and a trial CBT session.

I’ll continue to see my pdoc and therapist while beginning CBT in about a week or so.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it:-)

6 Likes

I went on a business trip and forgot my meds.

Yeah, it’s very dangerous not taking your meds, your symptoms come back along with withdrawal symptoms.

I hear that. This is a mistake I won’t make again.

I’m glad your hospital stay was a positive experience!

1 Like

Glad you had a good experience at the hospital, and finally have a diagnosis. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget your meds mannn :confused: :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Minnii:-)

1 Like

good attitude you have, srs

1 Like