Don't you just love the normie know it alls?

I’ve got lots of those in my life that just seem to know everything including exactly what they need to correct and discipline about me.

what do you do to get them out of your life? I cannot figure this one.

judy

1 Like

that’s difficult depending on who they are. my mum is a normie as is my dad. my mum knows i suffer from avolition…my dad on the other hand thinks i pick and choose what i “want” to do. he constantly says to me, everybody has to do things they don’t want to do, you just have to get on and do it! gggrrrr. he’s a nice guy, he just doesn’t believe in avolition be it psychiatric or physical.

1 Like

Ignore it if you can. If they start to ride you then you need to get more assertive and let them know you don’t want their advice.

2 Likes

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comes down to how much power you give them. But I’m still learning this myself.

4 Likes

My brother is pretty “normal” but he thinks he knows it all.
He always has to have the first and last word on everything.

I am learning to say very little around him, he is basically a bully and feels the need to belittle me and now others like strangers even.
I cannot disown him, but I am starting to realize that he is not so “normal”

The best I can do is realize that he is basically drowning on his own negativity- I kind of feel sorry for him, I really am starting to think that he could be suffering from more than just simple depression.

His job and family situation is basically ruining him

The truth is they are more like Sgt Shultz from the old Hogans Heros show…

http://www.ftffpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nothing.jpg

3 Likes

when your mentally ill it seems lots of people are waiting in the wings to give you advice about how they think you should live your life its very irritating.

2 Likes

@ifeelblessed
I’m sorry you have people in your life who aren’t being supportive or understanding. Is there a way to maybe let them know that what they are doing isn’t helping you… only making you feel like you can’t take them into your circle of support?

I’ve had some people in my life who have been very toxic to me… some have a mental illness… some don’t.

My Mom, Dad and Sis are neurotypical… (“normie” as some would say) and they saved my life.

I don’t think bullying and not understanding, or clinging to stigma is exclusive to people who don’t suffer a mental illness.

1 Like

Keep your physical distance from them. Live your own life, It might get a little lonely but the lonliness will be yours.

“Velly intrerlestink!”

It’s extremely difficult when family don’t understand the hardships, Prometheus even. I wish you the best of luck x

a cell in the ’ death star '…
take care :alien:

i am learning to express myself and my feelings. do you know I get so intimidated by these professionals that I cannot always tell them what needs to be said. I am not good at being assertive.

judy

1 Like

When it comes to taking on a tough conversation… I’m a big chicken.

That’s when I start with the letters… Then I can think of what I need to say… write it down… mull it over and then send it.

It’s hard to assertive when our confidence has been knocked about so badly. Good luck and I hope an idea comes to you.

If it’s a professional… or a doc… you might need to shop around a bit and find a new one.