Does schizophrenia get better in middle age

I am hopeless. Im 38 and am getting no better. Will it always be like this. Are my 40’s to be the same. Whst was your experience.

My illness started mellowing out in my 40s actually.
Middle aged or older people with schizophrenia or a similar disorder, suffer less positive symptoms but have an increase in negative symptoms usually.
There are always exceptions

I’m your age too. I feel the same. Why can’t it just be better. I miss my old self. I was so active and social. I was popular. Now I sit by myself at lunch. I don’t “get it” when ppl joke. I’m boring. All occupied in my head.

My experience is very bad. Have got the illness for many years now, and I have both positive and negative symptoms, medicines don’t seem to work for me either…

I’ve mellowed since I have become middle aged. Some things about my life are better. I don’t have the desperation I felt when I was young. I enjoy the simple pleasures. We’re having a lovely Spring, and I’m enjoying it. We’re going to a festival this Friday, and I plan to do some people watching. They’ll have a sale at the library where I can find some good, cheap books. When I was young I could feel life passing me by, and it hurt. I don’t feel that any more.

3 Likes

That’s really nice to see, @crimby, I get hope myself too.

1 Like

Generally - the research shows that things get better after middle age, for people with schizophrenia.

3 Likes

Yes, some of my symptoms went away in my mid-forties and the rest are not always as intense as I get older.

1 Like

Depends on the person . I wasn’t diagnosed until about age 47 but I had symptoms off and on starting in my early twenties. But then was diagnosed with depression. I never told anyone about hearing whispers . I went through a period of no symptoms in my late 20s to early 40s. Then a few years ago was a really bad time. I still have hope I will be cured one day . I hate the voices it ruins my life.

actually my experience is that ive got better with age I was a very very wild child boredom is better than chaos my friend trust me.

1 Like

I am 53 and I feel pretty much at ease with my symptoms. I just wish I wasn’t so poor on disability.

@karl
yes :smiley:
take care :alien:

I think that it is relitive to the individual.

I’m 46 and it hasn’t let up. My meds just keep getting stronger as my symptoms get stronger. I wish it would just go away!