Buspirone added to typical antipsychotic drugs Improves Negative Symptoms in patients with chronic schizophrenia

A triple-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial to examine the efficacy of buspirone added to typical antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia.

CONCLUSION:

The results suggest that adjunctive treatment with 5HT1A agonist such as buspirone may improve the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Further studies are indicated to determine the efficacy of 5HT1A agonist treatment in chronic schizophrenia.

Research Study:

2 Likes

Been on it. One has to monitor carefully for sfx, the most noticeable to me, at least, being considerably increased agitation and irritability.

1 Like

I’ve been on a typical plus Buspar for 10 or 15 years. The first thing I noticed is that it reduced my anxiety/rigidity – I was finally able to get moving in the morning. I felt more flexible in dealing with situations

That and Wellbutrin both helped knock out my negative symptoms.

2 Likes

Is that truth that buspar and wellbutrin helps you with negative symptoms and if so how exactly help you can you describe in more details ?

1 Like

I am on buspirone and the fact that it helps with negative symptoms is news to me! I’ve been prescribed buspirone for about 3-4 years now. It’s supposed to be non-addictive and not a controlled substance anti-anxiety drug.

to be honest, I wasn’t very good at taking it regularly, so I probably only take it consistently for a month or so at a time, then break for a few months. I thought it wasn’t working for the anxiety, plus I don’t like swallowing pills, so if I was not feeling too uncomfortably anxious, I wouldn’t take it. Big mistake!

If I had known that it helps negative symptoms, I would have taken it every day! I now will take it (swallows pill) and I will remember to take it every day.

Thanks!

Before I took the buspar I was frozen by anxiety into inaction and indecision so much that it amounted to a negative symptom – at least that;s how I looked at it. When I started taking it I started taking actions which was something lacking in me before.

Before I took the wellbutrin I was apathetic and unable to find any interests and slept 3 hours more than I do now. It had no effect on my social withdrawal but I was able to develop hobbies, activities and interests much more after taking it.

2 Likes

Thank you bring hope in my day :slight_smile:

But before wellbutrin absolutly no interests at all like me and after wellbutrin you have interests? If so there is hope thank you!

I’m on Abilify and this med is also a 5HT1A agonist. And I’m still experiencing negative symptoms such as blunted affect and lack of motivation, it sucks. But when I was on Buspirone, I was feeling better, but I was taking high doses, my motivation was back and I could feel things again. I stopped this med a while ago but I want to ask my pdoc if I can try it again, not sure if she’ll agree.
Maybe Abilify agonist is not strong enough ?

Wellbutrin will probably not help with your negative symptoms. I know someone who has the same disease as me and she has tried wellbutrin, but it didn’t help.

Its help some people i hope that it wiil help me why you didnt tried?

I was put on this in the hospital once and it made me feel happy and good about life and then I stopped it and tried it again awhile later and it made me very light headed, had to stop it again.

I think at first it did help with negative symptoms

Are there any studies done with atypical antipsychotics?