Anyone else like mathematics?

I was a mathematics major before I dropped out. I planned on going to graduate school before I got sick for economics or mathematics. Since I got sick, I’ve done over 500 math problems, mostly dealing with probability. I like abstract mathematics also called pure mathematics. I find it more intellectually stimulating than applied mathematics. After I dropped out and became sick, I felt like my math skills got stronger but they have since weened and I currently feel stupid and unable to do math. I used to be obsessed with math but I am no longer. Maybe it’s time to do something less stressful and easier like finance/business. Math is the only thing I am good at. I think it counts as creative because you have to think creatively to solve problems. So anyone else like math or is good at it? Thanks.

2 Likes

I once was yes.

1 Like

I used to love maths and physics.

1 Like

The mathematics of probability is futile, one could even call it delusional.

Probability doesn’t exist.

Quite the contrary. Probability does’t exist physically but that doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

I was just saying that everything is set in stone and nothing is actually probable.

For something to be probable there must be a way for it to go one way or the other, things aren’t like this, it must go only one way. Hence nothing is probable in the least.

I did a lot of math in university for my physics degree. I too had to drop out because of psychosis. However, I found alternatives including www.edx.org and www.coursera.org :smile:

2 Likes

I like those websites. I’m actually taking a course right now in finance from coursera.

I used to be very sharp at Math, with matrixes and planes and many simaltaneous equations. Sadly I got brain damage from abilify, and Ive lost a signifiant degree of intellect as well as other areas such as balance and so. I have filed for a mistreatment case, but my expectations are low, since no doctor want to speak bad about the psychiatrist, the bas#¤%#

But you do agree that math is overaplied these days in social sciences especially. I was a economics major, but Im not an advocate of math as a basis for human decisions.

I’m trying to get my undergrad in mathematics currently.

2 Likes

I have to use basic maths occasionally as all of us do but I can’t say it’s something I enthuse over. Compared to the average(Apart from geometry.I was useless at that) my maths skills are slightly above average but nowhere near good enough to entertain doing a maths degree.

1 Like

A lot of things don’t exist physically.

By pure math do you mean, purely mathematical without real application? Like solving puzzles.

Was just talking about this with someone the other day. It’d be cool to understand higher mathematics. I love calculus, very practical and useful. I hit differential equations and that’s when I learned that I wasn’t good at math. Calculus is closer to arithmetic where if you understand integrals and derivatives you can solve most problems with the same rules. (Trig calc not so much) With differential equations you have to keep a lot more information in your head. You have to identify the type of equation and then remember how solve that certain type. It was too much for me to even want to learn. Still my give it another go somewhere down the line, depending on if it’s required for whatever field I try and get into.

I went up through calculus in college. When I was in high school I had a little trouble with math, but after I came back from the army it came more easily to me. I attribute this to several things.- I was consuming very little caffeine, I was doing transcendental meditation, and I was getting about the right amount of exercise. I got A’s in all my math classes. Then I started drinking again, and I was missing a lot of classes. My grade point average plummeted. Sometimes I wish I had gotten in to math in a big way when I was in high school. I pretty much blew it off then.

1 Like

I had the advantage of a good calculus teacher early on. 5 hours a week in a class of three. The three of us kept each other on the same page and over that high school semester we covered most of the topics all the way into calc 3. College calculus course were basically a big review session.

I do remember this one quiz we had to do online, but on campus in the math building. You had to have the answers match precisely with what the computer expected. It took everyone so many attempts. Regarding math/physics online quizzes shouldn’t be used. I hate dealing with specific digits. More accurate numbers yield more accurate results, but no they’d rather you learn this complex system of rounding. I do see how it gives a more accurate way of providing margin or error, still annoying as hell. especially when I was having trouble solving the problems in the first place.

I used to study math as an undergrad. Developed a love and hate relationship with it. There is this division between continuous math and discrete math - the former including such subjects as analysis, calculus and dynamical systems theory (differential equations). The latter including subjects like algebra, topology, logic and graph theory. I used to love discrete math but the continuous stuff not so much. Especially dynamical systems theory proved to be a hurdle I wasn’t going to take. I went on to philosophy which in my university also extensively treats formal logic to the same level as the mathematics program treats it. I would certainly not call myself a mathematician, but I can formulate proofs and have had a taste of the beauty of a good proof. I can recommend “proofs from The Book” by Aigner and Ziegler for a showcase of beautiful creative math.

I took special education math in high school. Summer school was cool. When I left, everyone continued doing well as I learned I can. My fellow classmates made a positive difference in my life, and continue to do so yet. I am a horrible student. To be frank, I could give a ■■■■ about grades.

I like the ideas they come up with. Bit lasy with the maths. In relation to probability, they seem to be doing that a lot in quantum computers, i.e.:

Movement and placement probability of neutrons relating to macro and micro time, I believe.

Hi I would like to hear from your experiences with www.edx.org that could be helpful. What kind of English language proficiency is needed for edx courses? Does it really helps this certification? Thanks in advance.

When I was an engineering student I liked trig a lot