A cure with CRISPR far, far from now?

I hate books lol

1 Like

what about stem cell therapy ā€¦
is it conducting on szā€¦

Iā€™d like a cure no doubt, but if youā€™re going to make me read books for 300 years forget it.

1 Like

Different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

cactus how old are uā€¦???
donā€™t loose hopeā€¦???

I havenā€™t lost hope. This is my opinion based on the fact that they donā€™t even have a clear idea of which genes cause schizophrenia. Plus clinical trials take ten years, and they havenā€™t even found a way to use this in organs yet. I highly doubt human clinical trials happen for schizophrenia in my lifetime. I have more hope for it bein used to cure Alzheimerā€™s disease as they have a series of genes identified that cause it.

Iā€™m placing all my hope on pimavanserin. Schizophrenia negative symptoms like symptoms can be caused by blocking d2 receptors in the brain. Pimavanserin might actually cure negative symptoms

1 Like

can u give me more info on itā€¦
i also have hope from min 101 and sep856 by sun ovion for treatment of negative symptomsā€¦
take careā€¦:pray:

hi catus how do u know pimavanserin has ablitiy to cure negs of szā€¦
i didnā€™t find any detailsā€¦

Blocking dopamine d2 has been shown to block d1 and d5 activity in a certain part of the brain responsible for motivation. Because Pimavanserin doesnā€™t block d2 it doesnā€™t cause this problem. They havenā€™t tested it by itself for schizophrenia just yet, but theyā€™re about to test it in 3rd stage trials. If it still works it will likely be the first antipsychotic not to cause lack of motivation

2 Likes

u are rightā€¦:roller_coaster:

It also had the potential not to cause sexual side effects and should be availible as early as three months from now. It does cause increased risk of death in Parkinsonā€™s patients so itā€™s worth waiting for them to test it in schizophrenics

u tube video of CRISPRā€¦

2 Likes

Thereā€™s promise with the Nrf2 gene, in that schizophrenics tend to have lower than average expression of it, which elevates oxidative stress.

Luckily it can be reactivated with medication. One of Paliperidoneā€™s mechanisms of action is Nrf2 activation, even.

1 Like

The reason that there will never be a cure for schizophrenia is that there are documented changes to the structures of the brain. Thereā€™s no way to fix that. Crispr sounds great but I think that would be more useful in preventing or ultimately eliminating sz from the gene pool. If you have schizophrenia it means that something went wrong in the development of the brain, the best we can hope for is side effect free medications to control our illnesses.

My brain feels like it went in the Crispr already :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I dont agree with this ill always say only a cure will do!

1 Like

I disagree as well. Thereā€™s always other ways. Just takes time to work it out.

I donā€™t believe in the typical ā€˜here take this elixir and your cured sirā€™ :blush:

1 Like

Well obviously I hope that in wrong. A cure would be nothing short of miraculous. Some days in more hopeful than others. But today I donā€™t think it (schizophrenia) can ever be cured. With my luck they will cure it one day and Iā€™ll be normal again and end up killing myself because I canā€™t cope with the 20 some odd years I lost to this disease. I watch a lot of movies though :frowning:

Is your doctor willing to try this with you? Are you willing to give it a shot? I know mine said that he would but he was like, you would have to be monitored very closely to make sure your symptoms donā€™t come back. I got scared and decided to stick with the 40 mg of latuda that Iā€™ve been taking even though Iā€™m watching the needle on the scale rise every couple days.

feel better! 1515