Schizophrenia.com

WTH am I complaining about? I'm not

I was at work, doing my thing, and a thought just popped into my head.

I have nothing to complain about at work. People treat me with respect. In fact people who have been seeing me four years still treat me with respect. And that’s something. The work isn’t hard at all, but to be honest, it’s annoying and irrataing and gets in the way of my breaks and talking all day to the soldiers.

IDK about anybody else but when I lied about my age on the application to get my first job as a dishwasher at age 17, I was making $2.65 an hour which was minimum wage. Now, I make $15.00 an hour and for the work I do, that is plenty. In fact, to me, it’s so good that I literally feel guilty when I see my paycheck every two weeks, it seems too much to pay me for what I actually do.
But hell, I’m not twisting their arm or anything, if they want to pay me that, who am I to say no?

But yeah, the women are great, the men are cool. Today, they were having classes and lectures all day which meant tons of strangers but it was cool, I walked through bunches of people all day, and got a few smiles from cute 30 year old women, and it was kind of dicey with the men, a few looks, some friendly, some not. But mostly friendly.

But yeah, I was exhausted all day but I was thinking about some of the people in the building. When I went through a crisis three years ago and I thought everybody hated me for a year there were still a few people who must have guessed I felt that way and they made a point of being friendly to me. It took me way too long to realize they were sincere and not just acting. I really appreciated it and it helped me to pull out of my slump and feel liked again.

There’s a guy upstairs who has always been kind to me. He sees me once a week when I empty trash or vacuum. I have been waiting for a year now for the shoe to drop and I expected him to start treating me bad but I realize that he is a genuine nice guy who has no immature, insecure need to treat me badly. And I can think of quite a few others like that. Some of the people there are just cool like that. It’s not an act, they don’t want anything from me. And my parents raised me well, so I am naturally polite and friendly back.
Don’t get me started on the people I hate there.

But yeah, I just stumbled onto this job like I have for a few others where I just click and the universe and the stars align and so many things are right about this job.

7 Likes

What if you win the lottery, then would you still work. That shows how much you really enjoy your job :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

Well done for. Your work great

1 Like

No I would not. But that doesn’t make me like my job any less.

3 Likes

Good on ya friend. Seems to be fulfilling. Glad you get to have this experience.

1 Like

Well you’re a good hard working man who does what he’s gotta do either way. I heard stories of people winning the lottery and still working their 9-5 just because they like routine. I can’t say I blame you if you wanted to chill in paradise instead lol.

I wish I had better work ethic…

1 Like

Well, thank you very much.

1 Like

For every article a person reads about “Schizophrenic person commits murder” you are the shining example of a person who just happens to suffer from a particular condition that carries a stigma. A real diamond in the rough. Maybe nobody knows you have an illness maybe they do, either way you are a good person and have a great sense of humor. It is inspiring to know you work and even more so encouraging when you share your positive “complaints” (heh). It is always good to hear when a person here has a positive experience to share and more than that I am glad for you. I wish you the best Nick. Keep it up! Maybe someday someone will realize it is a story worthy of an article. Even if it’s just one of those feel good fluffy pieces. :slight_smile: I’m sure there is at least one schizophrenic out there who does not use this site which would find your story inspirational.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve heard similar stories. I’ve had plenty of shitty jobs but I’ve had a few that worked out great for some reason or another.
It’s almost impossible for me personally to predict if a new job will be good or not.

1 Like

Hell if you wrote a book, based on your ability to mix humor into even serious anecdotes, I’d read it.

1 Like

Well when I was 0-16 years old my parents really did a lot of things for me like laundry, less cooking (I always loved cooking) and paying for all my food and stuff because I always ate with them. So sometimes I think I was given bad habits but then I remember that when I was 17-20 I worked a lot, I did my laundry, I was a pretty normal kid. Until like 19 1/2 I had a bad acid trip and it really set me off. I’m sure something was wrong with me before but not so much of psychotic behavior in me. And then that summer I got fired from the job I had I ended up in the hospital not long after. Well haven’t worked much since. And honestly that’s the negative symptoms of this disease to me. Because I really think I was just a very anxious but not psychotic person before the acid trip now. And I was on a normal path like any other hard working functional kid. Maybe I was headed down a bad path a bit before the acid trip even too but once the drugs triggered sz in me I have so much lazy symptoms!!! It’s pretty cool you can work so long

1 Like

Thanks @ilovethaifood, you impress me for being able to write such a nice, positive response. You’re lucky enough to have a brain that still functions on a good enough, high, level to write that. I appreciate every word of what you wrote and of course, I wish you good luck in any endeavor you may try.

2 Likes

95% of jobs people would likely not do if they won the lottery so that doesn’t really work.

It’s more about finding things you can like about work but may not like about everything.

Most people need to work a job to live!

2 Likes

Actually not only did a few bad acid trips trigger my schizophrenia but they gave me a splitting headache for about 5 months.

Oh man, that’s good to hear. I’m almost certain that I’ve lost at least 30 IQ points in my lifetime due to a number of things i.e. smoking pot, psychosis, medication (makes me dopey but I prefer it to insanity) anyway, thanks for your well wishes.

On a humorous note I thought I’d add,
“You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.”
I’m sure someone YOUR age might recognize that!
(Sorry for my age sleight, can’t be too kind 'round here reckon I don’t want t’be seen as a sissy, old feller. [Jk])

1 Like

After my bad acid trip it felt like two tin blocks were rubbing up against each other in my brain every night before I tried going to sleep. I also had bad trip dream night mares every single night practically that I would wake up from and not be able to get back to bed from for a while.

I guess were not missing much!!

1 Like

Funny enough, I experienced something that was a little similar, believe it or not. For a few years after a few bad trips I felt something metallic in my brain. Like a thin piece of metal. Acid had changed me (that was like the very first thing I learned about LSD, that once you take it, you are never the same again) but I felt if I got that little metal out I would be alright. So over a period of time I worked it out of my brain like working a little splinter of wood out of your finger with a knife or needle.

1 Like

I love this post. You are doing so well in your job! I’m glad you have such great people to work with. It makes a huge difference. It doesn’t matter what role you play overall if they people are good to you.

1 Like