Would you use DBS (electrodes inserted in the brain) if it made you the same as before having any sz symptoms?

I mean no negative, no positive and no cognitive symptoms and a functioning lvl similar to before prodromal sz. I would use it personally.

1 Like

Sure. I’ve had electrodes inserted into my heart since age twelve. It has worked out well so far.

2 Likes

They started using this method of insterting electrodes in the brain called deep brain stimulation (DBS) for schizophrenia recently. But I read currently its only used for treatment resistant sz that doesn’t even respond to Clozapine. So I think its currently only for positive symptoms but I wonder if its better for negative and cognitive symptoms as it doesn’t block dopamine in the whole brain like meds.

Also it can improve negative and cognitive symptoms of those who are off meds if they can fine tune it to boost dopamine in low dopamine brain regions.

I think there is potential, but I doubt it will be available in my lifetime. Hopefully in yours.

2 Likes

I forgot to post this link:

1 Like

Nope I wouldn’t trust it

1 Like

Yes, yes, yes. I’ve considered it as an option for TD.

1 Like

This is already being used successfully and safely to help epileptics regain control over their lives:

It’s not new, but applying it to SZ is worth considering.

2 Likes

I do not rememeber alot of how my mind worked. I would not want to go back to when i started going crazy. Years prior i always had extreme anxiety. Right now im med free and my anxieties gone. I like my mind right now.

1 Like

I just think epilepsy is more straightforward, my brain is so complicated I wouldn’t trust this.
I have so much I struggle with there’s no easy fix.
I only barely trust meds I think there doing me more harm sometimes

In your heart? I’ve seen you mention this before
Have you something serious with your heart
Are you okay?

I’m on my fifth pacemaker. Got the first one at age 12. I am 53 now.

Yes, but I’m as okay as possible under the circumstances.

1 Like

Right so your having to manage that as well. Sorry it sounds stressful for you. I hope you get a good sleep tonight.

1 Like

Yes. Definitely

1 Like

how long have you been med free? I saw another guy who’s med free for quite a long time but negative symptoms still plagued him. I am off meds for 2 years and a half now

No. Not until the hardware is proven to work or be effective. I’ve an uncle with Parkinsons and he got some electrodes put into his brain. I don’t really think it’s any more effective than other treatments and he just spent lots of money on something new. I know people are desperate for better treatments but we really know little about the brain when it comes to mental illness.

3 Likes

Yes. I would become one of their test subjects, but I feel I would not meet 1 out of their 19 criteria for becoming one.

1 Like

How long have you been medication free now and have you tried many times before?

Just looking for some hope.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.