Working on staying positive

Whilst talking with a good friend I asked,

‘What’s the point in negativity? I mean it’s so counter productive. Even if something bad happens being negative is not going to help in the slightest.’

I mean if the ■■■■ hits the fan being positive will be more productive. Negativity is a waste of mental energy.

Now I think I got some screws loose up there because I think my brain tells me being negative will help reduce the chance of bad things happening, in like a crazy magical way or something. I think I’ve gotten locked into negativity because in a twisted way I’ve decided it’s protective.

That makes zero sense and is a form of self punishment. Now I’m not saying I’ve made a massive step forward overnight or anything. More I just don’t have the emotional resources anymore to keep punishing myself. I am all out.

So just for some relief from pain am gonna try not being negative. We’ll see how it goes.

6 Likes

There’s a thing called ‘the pollyanna principle’. It’s based on a book about a little girl who tried an experiment where she tried to see something positive in EVERYTHING, even things which seemed bad.

I think in the book she calls it the ‘glad game’ - where she tries to find something to be glad about in every situation.

1 Like

I have the same problem with negative thinking but for me it is being realist. If I don’t sugarcoat my life or expectations I can’t be let down. My therapist says this is a good coping skill in theory but in action leads to a sad and negative life. She is right. I am not happy.

3 Likes

I hear you. Maybe I should aim for neutral. Up to this point I have been way to the negative side of neutral.

1 Like

i think it is a very broad subject and a complicated one as well, i try and keep it simple but it has layers (or so i think) like i try to be positive but i realise negative things happen and we should try to learn from these things in order to gain strength.

but sz is different, it affects mood, thoughts, feelings and just about everything so it is hard be positive when all that is going on,
meds are my saving grace when it comes to it, the meds make it possible for me to remain positive. it may also be partly down to me but i wouldnt be me without my meds.

1 Like

From my perspective you have to actively work to create positivity in your life. It takes work and you have to make it a habit. Doing small things help to build momentum as well. You can start by trying to stay clean,dressing nice, smelling good or even going on small walks. Do something good everyday and you can slowly make progress. Dwelling on negative thoughts and giving up isn’t productive at all and will only bog you down.

It can be a tough process but I started on small things and eventually build up to where I am. With the right medication combo it can also do wonders for you as well. I know that I’m not living up to my full potential but I’m doing the best I can with what I have because I’m doing a lot better than I was before and have maintained stability for almost a year now. I also am thankful and grateful to have gotten to this point in life because it could be a lot worse. I know with this illness you can become limited to what you can and can’t do but again it could be a lot worse. I’m rooting for you. Hang in there and keep striving!!!

2 Likes

I try to be careful and not risk…i have been alone alot and lost chances of great times because of that.

1 Like

My new wife, whom I’ve known and loved for the last fourteen years, says that I tend to be negative. I tell her that is a habit of mine born of many, many years of really bad depression. I am no longer depressed but tend to still be rather negative. I feel bad about this. I wish I wasn’t this way. But, I’ll be positive and say that with her help, I can change.

1 Like

I’ve been a super negative person myself over the last couple of years. Don’t know how to change it. Maybe it has become a personality trait, I don’t know.

1 Like

Wait, I got a new complaint

yeah, it’s good to get it off the chest though.

1 Like

Hey @Daze. How goes?

physical pain

but it’s nothing new

just need to find distractions

I’m thinking you’re directing your thoughts right
that’s good for you, way to go.

1 Like

Physical pain sucks, especially if it’s chronic.

Hey I’m seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow. I think he is going to put me back on a depot. I think that is fine - things have been real hard since I came off my last one.

2 Likes

How is Phil? 151515

I guess it’s super hot in there today

he says he’s soaking wet

we go round and round though Jim

he gets a few beers in him, and I can’t do anything right

I’m glad to have him though, and we need each other.

1 Like

I think you make a good team. Everyone has faults I suppose, and sometimes beers don’t help, but at the same time it’s a human trait to want to get help to unwind.

I met my pensioner pal for a coke today. He is moving back into our village (his partner died). Will be good to see him more.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.