Work two days ago

85% of the time my job is easy. I’ve been at my janitor job 5 years so I usually know what to expect and I usually know how to do the work OK. Or at least I do a passable job because I suffer from fatigue.This past Monday I went to work on about 6 hours of sleep which is typical of me. I rarely get 8 hours of sleep on workdays and I go in last Monday and I punch in and the co-supervisor tells me, “You’re going home tired after work today” and he laughed.

I suspected we had to clean carpets which I dislike. But it turned out we were washing windows in the office building we work in. We usually have it done by professionals once a year but this is the first time we are doing it ourselves.

It sucks because it’s a two story building and there’s at least a hundred windows counting the upstairs and downstairs. And it’s not just our building, we have do do three other buildings! So my supervisors trained us on this window-washing machine, basically I little contraption filled with water with a hose attached to it and then we use 20 plastic poles that have a brush and squirt water through. It’s not easy, it’s a little tricky.

It was the first time the four of us used one and you have to learn a good technique and we took turns and when your turns come we have to wield this pole and have the rest of the guys behind you watching you doing it. You want to do a good job and you don’t want to look bad in front of everybody. It was tricky and awkward.

But here’s the thing: we did about twenty windows which took 3 hours because we were all just learning the right way to do it. It’s hard because it’s awkward and you don’t want to break the equipment. But the supervisor above my regular supervisor came out and watched us cleaning for awhile and then tried it himself and then he told my supervisor that the machine needed a new filter so we had to stop until 3 weeks from now. But the worst part is that he told us we have to start at the beginning and do all the windows we already did, all over again.

1 Like

I don’t know how you got through this, I would have had a much harder time. I’m super weirded out by heights though.
Well, at least you get 3 weeks time to forget about it until it rears it’s ugly head again.
Hang in there @77nick77, you’ve been successful getting through much worse than this.
It still sucks tho.

1 Like

You’d think it would be easier for everyone if they just hired the professional window cleaners they’d used in the past. :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t ask why we do it now.

The weather is starting to really warm up so having you and your coworkers out there washing windows outside in the hot weather seems like a bad idea. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

1 Like

Sounds like a pretty shitty job matey. Hang in there. You will get better and everyone else has the same start as you! Gawd. I am pretty physical but i’d struggle to do that for a day!

1 Like

I drink too many fluids. There’s five Coke machines placed strategically around the building. They take debit cards so I drink diet coke whenever I feel like it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.