Work in a bookstore

Bookstore manager said I am doing not bad at work! She said it’s even nice. She said it’s also good that I ask lots of questions during work hours. It’s my third week in a bookstore. I doubt they will fire me.

So I am happy finally knowing I am really capable of working. :smiley:

Working in a bookstore is great. The only problem is that some customers are rude for literally no reason. But it happens in all the jobs where you work with people.

Also one of my colleagues, older lady possibly dislike me. She’s not friendly to me at all. But other people are cool.

As I mentioned several times, I like the environment of books. It makes me fantasise about reading even more, haha :slight_smile: also in this bookstore we have lots of decorations, candies, games, and etc. There’s a LOT to memorise.

My plan is to work atleast a year in a bookstore. Maybe even more. I will learn new stuff during that year or more. :slight_smile:

30 Likes

well excellent !! good for you for working…I want to work too…

2 Likes

Sounds great!

Don’t worry about the rude people. Dealing with the general public can be like that.

I used to make a game out of it. When I was on the till, if the customer didn’t acknowledge my existence, I made a point of asking them how their day was going!

A lot of the time they nervously smiled and would talk. But occassinsaly they just ignored me…

Hope this works out for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Big big thanks!! If I remember well, your’e looking for a job now? @jukebox Or I am mistaken??

2 Likes

@Joker I need to agree that dealing with general public can be exausting… some people can be with a bad mood because their day is simply going not well. Some are rude by nature… some are very egocentric.

But some are very sweet and nice people! And some love when I can help in a bookstore.

And that’s a very good idea.

3 Likes

My favorite jobs were in a bookstore. It’s great work if you like reading or books. You tend to know what you know and it translates well to the industry.

Yeah. It’s retail and people are asshats so you’ll always get that bad customer but you’ll get that good one too! That makes it so worthwhile and for retail it’s kinda magical to me that books and customer service.

Well done to you and keep on keeping on. There’s way worse things to do out there and glad your doing it well and enjoy it. It’s a nice trade.

4 Likes

soon…I have to turn 62 next april first…then I don’t have to worry about losing my disability…it will be social security then.

3 Likes

Look,
I bought these bookmarks from my bookstore! How cool they are :slight_smile:
Made of leather. I

9 Likes

I noticed that. But some of my colleagues read way more than me… so yeah, I feel a need to start reading even more.
But it’s hard because I also need to spend time on studies.

Yeah there are very nice customers. Big thanks, @rogueone :slight_smile: just in some people eyes shop consultant is nothing. Like, it’s not always very respected profession, sadly.
But I also believe this is a nice thing to do. Also, I like the job by itself, another important aspect.

4 Likes

Very happy for you!

2 Likes

That’s very sweet of you! @AppleKidd

2 Likes

That’s great that the job is working out. Yeah, I worked at a couple of full service gas stations back in the late 1970’s and you get all kinds of people. It can be fun working with the public but you’ll get both good and bad people. Congratulations on your success.

4 Likes

Glad you’re liking it so far. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah it seems awesome!

2 Likes

Hey @LunaNoir I like your new avatar

2 Likes

Is that the cutest avocado of all time?

3 Likes

Thanks for you all!! :pray:
@FreeLunch @LunaNoir @77nick77

3 Likes

Lol uh huh it’s the cutest avocado ever jk

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Good for you!
Sounds great @HyperactiveNectar

2 Likes

I’m also very happy for you BringMeCoffee :blush::coffee:

I think about having read as much as your colleagues, i think it doesn’t matter so much – that just seems more like an extra to have. It seems like you’ve got the main hang of things for your job.

And even if you feel that you haven’t read as much books as them, I always think that life experience is irreplaceable – something not replaceable by books, even though i also love books and writing.

Life experience can give you a wisdom and understanding that you don’t get from reading someone else’s version of it. And I think you probably have a lot of important life experiences and understandings that your colleagues may not have.

3 Likes