Word Salad

Yesterday I was experiencing bouts of word salad. For me it usually comes in waves throughout the course of one or more rarely, a few days.

It’s the scariest symptom I have. The only part of this which makes me feel like I’m losing my mind.

I feel it coming everytime. A fog, slow thoughts, misinterpretation. Then I’m suddenly not realizing I thought the wrong words until they’ve been thought, and I might still struggle finding the word I want.

At times I struggle speaking at all.

Reading comprehension is impaired. Words which aren’t there appear, or are scrambled. I try reading two lines at once, my eyes won’t focus on one.

I’ve only been experiencing this for a few months maybe? Might have an older post on the subject.

For those with more experience with this, did it get worse over time for you?

1 Like

It’s never happened in conversation before, but I dread the day this happens. I’m incredibly self conscious about it. I love being good with words. I try to avoid everyone when I’m like this.

It sounds scary. I have attacks of word salad, but something less problematic. When im alone all of a sudden i burst into gibberish saying nonsense sentences without im having a control over the nonsense i say (a bit tourette like).

1 Like

I know I’m being captain obvious here so I apologize but can you talk to your pdoc? Just to see if you’re ok and if there’s a way to stop it from happening again

I don’t have a Dr, and I’m not interested in finding one.

1 Like

Oh ok. Well hopefully it doesn’t get worse

1 Like

@fractaled

I experience word salad from time to time, and it has stayed about the same over time. I consider it a symptom of dissociation (just my opinion). For me, it’s caused by stress (anxiety). I get racing thoughts, I sleep less, eat less, my hygiene is poor. I have no interest in anything.

Anything unusual in your life? Any unusual anxiety? Depression?

1 Like

No depression, no anxiety except for this. I haven’t been sleeping enough though, and I think that may have something to do with it.

The things you mention are in contrast to what I experience. My thoughts are slow, my hygiene and diet are normal.

Though it’s intriguing you think it’s a form of dissociation. There has been some recent social anxiety, I don’t think anxiety is the right word, but without providing more context, it makes sense I might dissociate at this time.

I’m going to try and take note of my sleep and social habits the next time this happens, see if they trend.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Sometimes we don’t even realize that doing something unusual can really mess us up. Like I have to go to a wedding next month. I think I can handle it, but it still is having an affect on me.

I guess, for me, I need a way to chill.

1 Like

Maybe listening to music can help if you don’t want to be on meds.

1 Like

But to answer the question I had it mildly off meds but it didn’t get worse, though I was off meds for only 2yrs.

1 Like

Music doesn’t always help. Besides there being a lack of anything I find good, my voices don’t let me enjoy it.

1 Like

Some find meditation helpful but I can’t do it myself.

1 Like

Me either. Way too much going on.

1 Like

I’ve never experienced what you describe, but is word salad something you can experience with schizoid disorder or would that imply sz or sza at work?

1 Like

Considering the variety of hallucinations I experience daily, if not constantly, it would better fall under sz, out of the options you provide.

I do not believe word salad is common amongst schizoids, but I’ve never thought to look into it.

1 Like

I always thought it was a misfiring of neurons in the speech part of the brain caused by sz.

I think a doc would medicate you for it, and hope it quietens the neural activity from over working and misfiring.

Not saying you should, but that is what they would do.

1 Like

Sometimes I slur like I’m drunk, even though I haven’t even had alcohol.

Scares me

1 Like

I’m just having a hard time remembering words I know. Today I couldn’t remember the word; progressive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.