Will my weight get stabilized one day on zyprexa? i put more and more lately

how was your weight on your antipsychotic? I try not to eat a lot but I still continue putting weight. will this get stabilized one day? mentally I am doing really bad still since years so I cant move a lot. the first time they put me on ap, I didn’t paid attention to my weight so I put 25 kilos. but I am really big right now and this time, I try not to eat much but I continue putting weight… 6 months that I am back on my meds, will my weight gonna be stabilized soon?

how was it for you? how did you stopped putting weight? we put weight in the beginning of the treatment or its not like this?

I’m on zyprexa too. This is a warning:
My pdoc says people on zyprexa can tend to put on “a lot of weight, like a lot, and can’t get it off”. She has to switch those ones to a different med. Don’t expect ur weight to stabilize if u don’t put any thoughtful action behind it. I mean monitoring and adjusting ur diet.

yeah but if I dont eat much this will get stabilized? if I monitor my eating for example? its not like for others schizophrenics, I am not craving for food. in psychosis I stop eating. on Zyprexa, I eat 2 times per day but lately I eat some sugar also. can I put weight if I dont eat, is it possible to get fat on Zyprexa if you dont eat?

I think so, as long as you don’t over-eat. If ur eating two big meals that might be an issue and if ur snacking a lot. From my experience as long as i keep it at 2,000 calories per day I don’t gain weight.

ok thanks for the answer. 2 meals is not a lot for someone who is not on Zyprexa but for me, maybe its a lot, yeap :(…

Try counting calories, that helps me a lot

myfitnesspal.com is a good website for counting calories

1 Like

i am still lazy for that :/… i am also asking myself if the negative symptoms can cause weight like in some formes of depression, you see what i mean? ouch… i dont feel fine physically, i suffer on this side also…

I doubt it. My Zyprexa experience can be summed up in three words: Explosive weight gain.

It’s not a med you give to anyone but the most dedicated exercise junkies.

but how i will put weight if i dont eat?

Water retention??? You should be eating! Please see your doc about this.

you mean that with Zyprexa i will put a weight till an explosion? oh my gosh, i am alreadyso fat. and i really dont like the other aps, ive tried them all…

I’m taking Zyprexa and I’ve put on a lot of weight, yeh it’s bad for weight gain, but I find it very good at reducing my paranoid delusions, and I hate really loathe switching a/p’s.

A couple of tips I learned, which may help a little -

I was in the habit of eating my main meal at night, just before I went to bed. I stopped doing this and ate my main meal earlier in the evening and I lost 14 pounds (about 7kg.)

Also I used to eat little, I would wait until my stomach started growling at me before I ate something. But I’m not sure this helps - I’ve read that if you eat too little your body goes into ‘survival mode’ and reduces its metabolism because it’s not getting enough food.

But really, the bottom line is, you do put on a lot of weight with Zyprexa :frowning:

(Of course dieting and exercise will help a lot, if you’re able to do those things. I lost about 50 pounds (around 25kg) when I was going to the gym 3 times a week.)

im on zyprexa 15mg…ive lost 1 stone in 9 weeks, from a lifestyle change strict diet and marathon walks, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t lose weight on zyprexa

When I was on Zyprexa I gained 60 lbs in 120 days. That’s a half a pound a day. I really craved sugar. I think a lot of the guys I was in the hospital with were on Zyprexa, because they craved sugar too. When they put out the sugar shaker on our table, everyone would be saying “Gimme dah sugah. Lemme have dah sugah.” There were about ten of us at the table, and we went through a whole shaker full of sugar every breakfast. I think you should talk to your doctor about getting on another drug, like maybe Geodon and Seroquel. Being overweight is a serious medical condition.

zyprexa made me gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks

I still suffer too much to take car of my weight. but probably it will come. I like Zyprexa, it helps me better than other aps. did somebody lost weight on this ap? how did you did it? we risk diabetes with it from what I know. my mom talks to me about metformine but ill check my sugar levels before this… I am fat, Its not beautifull…

I take 20mg I gained maybe 10-15kg on it in the first few months but after that my weight has stayed stable. I think I’d be able to lose weight while on it if I actually tried

quite promising all this zenmind,thanks ;). but me too, I think that it can get stable if I dont eat much and if I monitor all this… but I am already fat but dont do nothing about it…