Why do menstrual cycles stop when you're on Seroquel?

I was wondering if there’s any reason why Seroquel causes irregular menstrual cycles/amenorrhea. Has there been any research conducted on why this happens?

Have you tried other medications.The period stoppes usually when you take medicine which make higher level of prolactine.Notorious are risperdal,prolixin.

1 Like

Every antipsychotic I have been on has stopped my period…risperdal,amisulpride,abilify,seroquel,invega,haldol.

1 Like

I think Clozapine does not interfere with periods,because it doesn’t bind to dopemine receptors.

1 Like

i haven’t had a period since I was put on invega. then I was taken off invega to switch to Haldol and still no period, I’ve gone to doctors and they did a pap smear and said I was find and couldn’t find a reason why I’m not having periods so it isn’t just Seroquel/

1 Like

me too, my period stopped on Zyprexa now. I dont have my period since 3 months and I am sure that its my antipsychotic. I start to look like a man already-more hair, more masculin features etc etc… I think ill try the natural estrogenes on the market, its kind of solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a guy so take my advice with a grain of salt. If ur period hasn’t come for 3 consecutive months u might have secondary amenorrhea. It could be caused by low body weight, ovarian cysts or tumors, substance abuse, stress or the use of oral contraceptives. You want to talk to your healthcare providers like ur gynecologist about this if u have an annual appointment.

1 Like

Haven’t had a period in years due to APs.

My pdoc isn’t worried and to be honest I 'aint complaining.

3 Likes

No period since starting INVEGA over a year ago now.

2 Likes

Hey, ladies (and gents)! So sorry for the late reply; I’ve been busy with schoolwork and whatnot. But I’d like to thank you all for posting. It makes me feel better that I’m not the only one who has to deal with this side effect.[quote=“zoa, post:3, topic:59405, full:true”]
Have you tried other medications.The period stoppes usually when you take medicine which make higher level of prolactine.Notorious are risperdal,prolixin.
[/quote]

No, I have not. I’ve been taking Seroquel for about three years now and this side effect first happened in 2015, I believe.[quote=“eduvigis, post:8, topic:59405, full:true”]
I’m a guy so take my advice with a grain of salt. If ur period hasn’t come for 3 consecutive months u might have secondary amenorrhea. It could be caused by low body weight, ovarian cysts or tumors, substance abuse, stress or the use of oral contraceptives. You want to talk to your healthcare providers like ur gynecologist about this if u have an annual appointment.
[/quote]

I’ve heard of this before, and I think that I could have ovarian cysts. I went on Provera in 2015 but that pretty much turned out to be a major mistake. For a few months, my natural period started coming back but then they disappeared in March. I’m considering having another gynecologist visit, but I’m unsure if they can be of much help.

I would see your OBGYN because I too had this problem but I was on Risperdol. The doctor did an internal ultrasound because it can become dangerous if your lining builds up too much but does not shed. In my case it was the increased Prolactin levels that caused it. I would see your doctor though.

@Anna1 I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Some of your symptoms sound like what I experienced so I would check with a doctor if I were you. :sunny:

2 Likes

Invaga sustena raised my prolactin. Told my pdoc I stopped having periods and he suggested my obgyn. They wanted to put me on mirana, kind of an IUD I think. Anyway I wanted none of that and had my prolactin checked. Too high that’s why no menstraul. I heard to high prolactin can cause cancer? Is this true?

1 Like

This is actually something I meant to address in the original post, so thanks for reminding me about this! While I didn’t know for sure, it worried me about the possibility of the lining building up. It’s good to know about this. I’ll see if I’m able to get an OBGYN appointment and if an internal ultrasound can be conducted.[quote=“twinkit, post:13, topic:59405”]
I heard to high prolactin can cause cancer? Is this true?
[/quote]

I have no clue myself. Can any of our medically/scientifically-savvy members answer this?

I had to go to a special doctor which I can’t remember right now their specialty but a regular OBGYN should be able to refer you. I got my period back as soon as I stopped the Risperdal. Actually I had to go to the ER because I was losing so much blood but it was only because I hadn’t had it in so long. I was fine my primary just wanted to make sure I wasn’t anemic. :sunny:

1 Like