Why do Americans wear shoes in their homes?

My relatives in Montreal made their guests take of their shoes indoors.
In the States most people keep their shoes on, including me!
Sloppy - Sloppy lol

2 Likes

I don’t know I’m korean so I leave the shoes at the door.

1 Like

That is hilarious! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I live in the U.S. and I always take my shoes off as soon as I get in the door. I’m just more comfortable with them off.

1 Like

My family and I are going to start taking our shoes off in the house.
My father agreed.

1 Like

Think of it this way, if you wear your shoes inside the house, every gross thing you stepped in outside is now inside your house. Ewwwwwwwww! :scream:

On a side note, my auto-fill tried to convert “Ewwwwwwwww!” to “lawlessness” then to “Sweetwater”. What the heck is “Sweetwater” anyway? :confused: Maybe it’s something I stepped in when walking outside? :thinking:

4 Likes

I think if you want people to take their shoes off you should provide some kind of a chair or bench where they could do so. Standing on one foot or kneeling to untie your shoes is very difficult when you get older. And I wish my wife was comfortable with having a chair or stool in our entry way.

3 Likes

In Sweden we take our shoes of.
It is concidered impolite not to.
In Sweden there is snow and rain and mud etc and the shoes get dirty.

In Australia we leave our shoes on.
It is pretty normal in Australia to leave shoes on.
If someone has a super expensive or fancy home I might ask if I should take my shoes off.

Our visitors leave their shoes on here.
I usually wear slippers around the home or my darling super socks.
I have one pair with Pom poms that I adore and one hand knitted pair that were a gift from my stepmum.
I have bamboo socks too that are thick.
I do not own many socks though.
Probably under ten pairs of thick and thin socks.
But I love :heart:️ my socks and slippers.

I clean the floor here once a week.

I have always cleaned once a week even when I was living by myself.

It can be good to ask or be respectful before entering someone’s home.

1 Like

Yeah I live in the province of QuĂŠbec and I never ever knew someone who keep his shoes indoor.

2 Likes

I don’t wear shoes in my house. Hell, I generally don’t wear pants when I’m at home.

Au naturel, folks.

:blush:

3 Likes

We take our shoes off ,I’m in the US I think it’s what most do. I have been in spotless homes where they don’t care if you wear shoes. Other homes I’d rather not be in where they have asked me to take my shoes off,and I cringe. I know if you have foot problems they tell you to wear shoes inside. The carpet people say no bear feet it gets oils on the carpet. I prefer bare feet.

1 Like

I never heard of not wearing shoes in the house. Tradition, I guess. My Dad was worried he’d step on feet that were only in stockings. He was easily upset. I never thought of the unsanitary aspect.

1 Like

I’m American and I never wear shoes in the house and find it very disrespectful to do so

1 Like

We change our shoes at the door to ‘inside only shoes’ like flip flops, waraches, zori’s, slippers.
The entire house is hardwood floors, and with 6 indoor only cats, it’s only a matter of time before you find some squishy bits of nasty inbetween your toes and slide across the floor on yer ass.

3 Likes

I generally take my shoes off inside but it’s not a hard rule. And when the kids are playing outside they’re constantly running in and out and it would be impossible to take their shoes off and put them on every three minutes. I’m lucky if I can keep up with shutting the door behind my three year old.

And I only have the floors cleaned once a week other than mopping up spills so they do get dirty. But I do sweep up several times a day. Have to because the kids throw their food all over the floor.

1 Like

:joy: This brings back memories from when I had roommates who had a cat. Funny now, not so funny back then. Who knew that cat poop could turned wood floors into a slip and slide? :scream: :fearful: :smile_cat:

2 Likes

We walk in stilts in my home but my parents are both professional clowns

2 Likes

Hairballs have much more volume of slime per sq inch- but less the stench of poop…still it makes a surprisingly nasty way to start your day.

2 Likes

I war shoes inside because I can go in and out during the day 6-8 times and I don’t want the hassle of taking my shoes off and on 6-8 times a day.

1 Like

What if you just wore shoes on top of your shoes? A different layer of shoes for every new room in the house. Like footies only in layers. By the time you got to the bathroom the floor would be spotless and your feet would be the size of watermelons!

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. I’m still considering it but I can’t promise anything.

1 Like