Why aren't there more deficit schizophrenics on this forum?

Here’s a summary of some new meds I compiled by google searches, I only mentioned meds in phase 2 and later trials bcoz all the phase 1 meds will be coming out in a long time. If you have time and interest you can search some of these meds on google and see whether they will help you. Hopefully mentalhealthdaily comes out with another list of drugs like they did for 2015, anyhow here is the list:

Lu AF35700 phase 3a

Min-101 phase 2b completed

HTL9936 phase 1b completed

Oms-824 phase 2a completed

Iti-007 phase 3b data last quart '16

Avn-211 phase 2b completed

Avp-786 phase 2a

BI 409306 phase 2

Nw-3509 phase 2a

Rp5063 phase 2b completed

Tak-063 phase 2

Tgof02n phase 2

Rapastinel phase 2b completed

1 Like

The use of anti psychotics high dose gave me depression but I was never hospitalised because of high doses of olanzapine… I now have insomnia plus depression plus restless leg syndrome but at home, no hospital never

I believe in the year 2013 I could derive pleasure and there after no pleasure

I believe health supplements like niacin large doses combat depression in its own level

Many Szs don’t fit your criteria because they have positive symptoms too, that’s the thing with schizophrenia there is no effective way to categorize us most of the time because there is so much variation. Me, I have 2 negative symptoms which have shown no sign of getting better, but I also have positive symptoms without medication so I don’t fit your criteria. I also have a subtle cognitive impairment (verbal fluency) which puts a damper on my experience of life. The negative symptoms I do have; poverty of speech and concrete thinking, basically stop me from participating in life. I can think, write and all that, I just can’t communicate using words, it’s the most annoying feeling in the world to have no inner monologue and not be able to contribute to a conversation. Even people who speak my language as a second language are superior to me in holding a conversation. My younger brother age 11 has superior verbal fluency compared to me.

Now I’m trying a higher dose Rexulti (3mg), if that doesn’t work I’m trying galantamine from powdercity, if that doesn’t work I’m considering asking my pdoc to put me on abilify. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to wait to see if time fixes it or I’ll have to wait for new pipeline meds which might address it. In the meantime I’m just waiting in silence.

1 Like

Often when I had depressive episodes I couldn’t cry either. Depression doesn’t necessarily mean sitting around crying

1 Like

I have negatives. Mainly anhedonia. And a non functional brain atm. Dn if that is negative symptom or positive. Cognitive at least.

Deficit schizophrenia is a syndrome defined by the following criteria: a) presence of at least two out of six negative symptoms: restricted affect (referring to observed behaviours rather than to the patient’s subjective experience); diminished emotional range (i.e., reduced range of the patient’s subjective emotional experience); poverty of speech; curbing of interests; diminished sense of purpose; diminished social drive; b) some combination of two or more of the above symptoms have been present for the preceding 12 months and were always present during periods of clinical stability; c) the above symptoms are primary or idiopathic, i.e., not secondary to factors such as anxiety, drug effect, psychotic symptoms, mental retardation, depression; d) the patient meets DSM criteria for schizophrenia 1-3.

1 Like

Sounds a lot like what I experience i.e. The verbal fluency and not being able to communicate. My friend from Portugal speaks better and more confidently than I do. I think it could be social anxiety have you ever asked your doc about that? The disease does a number on our self esteem and sometimes just holding eye contact seems to be impossible

I only have negative symptoms on medication

I actually have a few of the negative symptoms you listed here, I just didn’t know there was a word for them. I have diminished emotional range, curbing of interests and diminished sense of purpose alongside my poverty of speech. Thank you for elaborating. I guess I’m a deficit schizophrenic. Boy don’t I feel lucky.

1 Like

I am glad you keep trying to fight

Im going to do more research on negative symptoms. Knowlege is power, hopefully understanding them will help me begin to recover.

1 Like

Start with low B 12 low folate low D. Try the methyl b12, metylbfolat, d3 and k2

I’m still not sure what Deficit schizophrenia is. Technically my doctor has me labeled as a Schizo-affective.

The thought of not having another psychotic break would be nice, but I’ve two since I’ve officially been diagnosed (back in 1996). Things are calm until they just keep building up until I can’t handle it any more and I relapse.

I do have positive symptoms…Hallucinations, delusions, confused thoughts/speech, trouble concentrating, and some different movements, like rubbing my thumb over the tips of my fingers without even realizing I’m doing it.

I also have several negative symptoms from severe depression (even though I don’t cry…had it for to long to still be crying), withdrawal, struggling with the basics of life…not following through with things…and yes I have cognitive symptoms as well being that I have poor long-term memory and trouble paying attention and making decisions.

I’m not sure where anxiety fits in positive/negative but I also have a lot of that. The thing is for having all of that I can manage pretty well with my medication. I’d hate to see what I’d be like without it.

We have a deficit of deficit schizophrenics. I’m sorry, but that’s funny. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Was a post awhile back (last year I think) I answered it on deficit SZ. Think people just come and go same with our diagnosis’s. Frankly it all sucks! Why put yourself in box with it anyway?

Can u specify which are for negative symptoms of Sz…!!!

That comes very close to describing my experience with schizophrenia.

Study findings indicate that, in patients with schizotypy, symptoms of depression and anxiety are more strongly associated with positive than negative symptoms, as has previously been shown in patients with schizophrenia.

“The present findings support the view of schizotypy as a multidimensional construct that co-exists with an affective/anxious dimension in the realm of normal individual differences,” say Kathryn Lewandowski, from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, USA, and colleagues.

“These findings are consistent with the idea that schizophrenia reflects the extreme manifestation of a continuum of schizotypy.”

https://www.medwirenews.com/mental-health/psychotic-disorders/depression-and-anxiety-linked-to-positive-schizotypy-symptoms/180088

1 Like

I have Schizoaffective Disorder and have a pretty severe case of Anhedonia (lack of pleasure)
My motivation is better, but I am on a very low dose of Risperdal.

I don’t read books, engage in hobbies, watch TV shows or movies.

I know that I’m a bit depressed (sad) lately, but even when I wasn’t depressed I suffered from Anhedonia.
I guess it’s just part of having SZ.

My positive symptoms are pretty much in check, but I still suffer from some paranoia, but I also realize that I am under a lot of changes and stress.

Thought I heard a “Voice” in the shower this morning, keeping an eye on it.

2 Likes

There’s no such thing as deficit schizophrenia. Ur just describing severe anhedonia. The longer people are psychotic for the more likely it is to happen. U don’t find a lot on here i’m guessing because they don’t see the fun in the forum.