Who here is a bro? (If you are, you'll know what it means XD)

Is anyone here aside from me a bro?

I donā€™t know what that means.

1 Like

I know what a bro is by virtue of being a professional DJ, but I am not one of the herd. My idea of partying is quietly puffing dust on a Friday evening when Iā€™m not behind my control surface.

10-96

I mean bro by a part of the Bro Army on youtube??

Out here ā€˜bro cultureā€™ is made up of d00ds and d4m3s who all have the same styles and party the same way. Very hard to tell apart even when looking directly at them.

10-96

1 Like

huh, another new thing I just learned. Thank you, Pixel, for this new information. :smile:

Back in the day Bro meant in general close guy friends who hung out together.
It also was popular in some black communities, though ā€˜brotherā€™ was more common.
And it was popular among Bikers.

At some point it got replaced by "Dudeā€™ although dude was also used back in the dayā€¦those ancient times so long agoā€¦(1960s - 80s)

Iā€™m in my late forties now so it amuses me that Iā€™ve become the DJ of choice for youth dances in town. Iā€™m pretty good at harmonic and beat mixing so I can do seamless dance sets. Gives me lots of time to watch teenagers dancing and observe the latest social trends. Which are just variations of what my generation went through (I unfortunately lived through the Valley craze - gag me with a spoon and all that).

10-96

I concur with @shutterbug. Didnā€™t know anything about it being a youtube thing. The ā€œbrosā€ Iā€™ve encountered are 99% college kids standing around with a red plastic cup, have frosted tips, and have spiked hair and wear baseball caps. Mostly yuppie filth.

This is how I remember it

Bro was originally an abbreviated form of ā€œbrotherā€ but began to assume non-familial connotations in the 20th century.[2] In this evolution, it was first used to refer to another man, such as a ā€œguyā€ or ā€œfellowā€, or sometimes, specifically, a black man. In these ways, it was semantically similar to the use of ā€œbrotherā€. In the 1970s, bro came to refer to a male friend rather than just another man. The word became associated with young men, ā€œconventional guysā€™ guysā€ who spend time partying in ways similar to each other

• Wikipedia

The term ā€œBroā€ is the term that a youtuber anmed PewDiePie uses to call by his fans.

1 Like

Iā€™m a maggot. And the Pumpkin King. :jack_o_lantern:

Took a look at the channel. Never heard of it before. Looks pretty lame.

You are The Mouse that Roared, sir. Massive props.

10-96

3 Likes

Here it is has become interchangeable with the word friend. Indicating that theyā€™ve spent some time together. Some girls have earned the title as well. It all stems from fraternity brothers. People were making fun of frat bros and then it just became cool to call your friends bros. This internet thing is a new use.
broseph broheim brohannon broha dudebra

I think the bra variant comes from california.

idk what i am lol

The modern bra was invented in Germany and patented in 1889. In the US Caresse Crosby patented the first modern bra in 1914ā€¦she was from New Yorkā€¦

Oh waitā€¦you mean bro-braā€¦ LOL

2 Likes

Somebody called me bro here. I donā€™t know what it means. In my day, you got called a bro by the other inmates if you were black and you were in prison. It was short for brother. it was usually accompanied by a funny handclasp. Funny how strong, black slang trickles down through the white community and ends up becoming meaningless. Look at the music, starting with the Blues becoming R and B, then becoming Rock and Roll and then Rock and then what?