Who has experienced Cotard's?

I continue to deny everything but my episodic belief that I either don’t exist, that I’m dead or that I’m not truly conscious aligns well with a very mild version of Cotard delusion. In my case, I guess, it’s just a reaction to my unfulfilled death wish and instinct of self-preservation. After all, if I’m dead, how can I possibly kill myself?

Any of you has experienced anything similar?

1 Like

didnt know this delusion. thanks for the link. i cant relate. never had this one. your self preservation theory makes sense.

1 Like

I thought i had overdosed on drugs and was in hell if that counts for anything

2 Likes

THis thread reminds me. We have not seen @Froge in awhile. He had some experience in this area.

4 Likes

My Alter Ego is convinced I’m not “there”. And I have suffered a great loss but look at it this way, your body is there and you can say something in your mind is there, Something, otherwise what wrote your post? I’m a lot like you. We both probably don’t fear death much, having already died.

2 Likes

Sadly it counts if not as Cotard’s yes as a terrifying guilt themed delusion.

I was thinking about Moon too and asking myself the same question you have.

1 Like

Yes, I think we probably experience the world in a similar way. I’m truly caught in this entire line of thinking.

@Froge Everything OK? Your contribution to the discussion would be welcome. :slight_smile:

Top Ten cases

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/50197/plight-living-dead-10-case-reports-cotard’s-syndrome

I can relate with you @Jinx
I feel lost etc
It is strange but im sort of used to it now

1 Like

I have experienced it before, both existentially feeling like I don’t exist and feeling like I’m dead/undead.

1 Like

Thsi is the key part. How like and alike are the experiences of 1) I’m probably not alive because it doesn’t make sense, it’s too meaningless and 2) I literally don’t exist? Can schizos even make the distinction correctly and distinctly?

Yall summoned me?

Yes i get cotards when psychotic. The thing i found moat helpful is called behavioral activation, basically getting up and doing things on a schedule. The act of moving around helps tremendously.

1 Like

i used to see a psychologist who told me he could for all he knew be existing in the back ward of some mental hospital and only be living as a psychologist in his mind.

just reminded me of that.

2 Likes

This is all there is

1 Like

@ablue Whatever ‘this is’ means. We know fack all, we get to live a few decades which most people waste anyway trying to survive or leading idiotic lives, only in many cases to forget the little we’ve learned as we age. Our collective wisdom is still very much in its infancy, we haven’t even managed to learn not to nuke ourselves to extinction or bring a complete environmental breakdown to our planetary resources.

1 Like

Was refering to life. This short little stint is all we get so we cant squander it with delusions that arent useful. But i have had the cotards when i was very sick.

Right on

1 Like

Today I think I might exist but that I’m not alive or conscious. Also that a different version of me wrote the post. To me at least sounds very plausible.

1 Like

I do believe we are ever changing biologically. We are never the same person in one moment to the next. I dunno what to say about the thinking your dead part. Just remember i have felt like that at times or i was going to wake up from a coma or something.

1 Like