Schizophrenia.com

Who has been on Zyprexa?

Well my Invega Sustenna is covered but it’s still $125 per month which I can’t afford. So I’m going on Zyprexa tomorrow and going off Invega (pill) and staying on rexulti for now. What is your experience with zyprexa? Did it work well?

1 Like

It worked well for me. My symptoms disappeared (except the paranoia). My dosage slowly lowered over several years, and I was able to maintain a job. On the negative side, I slept a LOT and put on a fair bit of weight. It brought me out of depression as well, so overall it was a big positive impact on my life.

Good luck with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It made me very fat and tired

Zyprexa gives me mild akathisia that comes and goes, which is the urge to stand or walk around (inability to sit still). It has done wonders for my dissociation problems… keeps me glued to reality. Doesn’t stop the hallucinations. Hasn’t made me gain weight. Everybody’s different though. Zyprexa’s what I’m on right now and it’s the best med out of the 4 or 5 I’ve tried so far.

2 Likes

Best pill for me. It works well. I take 10mg’s wafer. It’s designed to be absorbed higher in your bloodstream than your stomach. You let it dissolve under tongue. Helps with weight gain but you still need to exercise and watch what you eat. It can make you eat a lot early…avoid that and do those things to keep you healthy!

1 Like

I was well on it, happy but hungry

i took zyprexa from 16 to 21 years old and when i wanted to change from zyprexa to a new med because it was making me feel like a zombie and sleeping all the time they gave me saphris to try which is a wafer that dissolved under neath my tongue which i thought was strange since i had never seen that before. i ended up going on abilify for a few years before getting on the invega

I started Zyprexa on March 13 and it has totally given me my life back. I can’t say enough good things about it. No more hallucinations or delusions, and no more paranoia!

A lot of people gain weight on it, but I started limiting my calories right away when I started it, and I’m down 33 pounds since March.

2 Likes

I took it about 4 or 5 years ago. It made me agitated and my eyes would roll into the back of my head. It also turned me into a human food vacuum. I wasn’t on it for long and it didn’t even work very well.

1 Like

I was on it in 2003 and it didn’t work well for me. But in 2015 or so my pdoc at the time suggested I go on a low dose along with my main amisulpride med so as to help with my depression. It worked well.

When I tried to go off amisulpride and just take olanzapine though, it didn’t work. It only works for me as a supplement med on a low dose.

It makes me get restless legs a few hours after my dose so I take it just before bed so I don’t suffer with the akathisia. I also have larger appetite on it and I think weight gain too.

How long did it take to work?

I was on Zyprexa for 6 months. It gave excellent symptom relief & sleep but my GP told me to go off it as it would cause obesity and diabetes in 3 short years. I changed to Lurasidone which is less effective but is supposed to cause less risk to metabolic change.

How long did it take to work?

My positive symptoms went away almost immediately, except my paranoia, as in within 3 days. That was on 20mg. I was also a very drowsy in the morning and evening, and a bit slow during the day. It really knocked me around, but I was relieved. The paranoia never went away, but lowered a lot so I could handle it.

My negative symptoms, along with the anxiety and depression, went away slowly over about 18 months.

Invega kicked my ass with horrifying side effects, Zyprexa has been much better in my experience. I hope it works out for you too!

I had a bad experience with Zyprexa. I was on it for a year and 1/2. My cognition declined, and voices didn’t go away. I was also too paranoid to walk outside because I thought people were after me. Two of the guys stood out my bedroom window talking about me. I thought “how can they know this personal information about myself?”. Then I figured out I was hallucinating. I also saw a guy at the bus stop with a gun saying he was going to blow the bus drivers brains out. A lot of fear on that med…

My positive symptoms started going away in the first week. After the first ten days, I went from 5 mg to 10 mg and then my paranoia disappeared. It happened fast - it was like that med was exactly what I needed to correct the imbalance in my brain or something. It literally felt like I was waking up from a fog. Now I am on 7.5 mg as a maintenance dose and I’m totally fine.

Do you get any akathisia?

I don’t get any akathisia, but I’m lucky, I haven’t had it on any of the four meds I’ve tried.

1 Like

Delusions? Did they go away? How long did it take for symptoms to get better?