Who has a family member also diagnosed with a mental illness

Myself my late dad was diagnosed with PTSD and my brothers diagnosed with Depression.

My dad has anxiety

that’s it in my immediate family

but i had a schizophrenic cousin, grandfather anxiety, cousin with depression, uncle with bi-polar 2, aunt with anxiety, and someone else had bi-polar i can’t forget who though, cousin with psychotic ocd

oh yeah and my cat is clearly schizophrenic, but i get this strange feeling he’s adopted :wink:

2 Likes

Was told once cats are Bipolar. Dogs are Schizophrenic.

2 Likes

haha that makes sense actually

my birds may be schizophrenic though

1 Like

After I opened up about my issues to my parents my dad admitted that depression ran on his side of the family (his grandpa committed suicide), and his mom also has depression and PTSD. We’re unaware of family history of psychotic symptoms despite both me and my younger brother being afflicted. This may be due to stigma because with both of us affected I highly doubt there is no genetic component going on for the psychosis here.

1 Like

Oh yeah Hmmm my step grandmother, Just a total fruit loop and how many psych patients I’ve known over the years calling my grandmother out as a total fruit cake is saying something. Not diagnosed though.

My father is DID, mom has paranoia and anxiety issues, my brother bipolar, and I have a cousin and aunt that were diagnosed schizophrenia after I was.

1 Like

Oh I would totally flip that. Our dogs are either bouncing off the walls or melting into the floor. Our cats are aware of vast conspiracies and are masters of highly idiosyncratic rituals. One of them is deeply suspicious of the walls.

1 Like

My mom has a soft depression, good on meds.

My dad was bipolar, not medicated.

1 Like

My big sister has been diagnosed with Anorexia, Bulimia, Anxiety, and Borderline Personality Disorder.
Also, my great aunt was hospitalized, received shock treatment, and became a zombie. No one wants to say why though, or what she had. We “don’t talk about it”.
The rest of my family all has psychological issues. I think I’m the only one who sees it, and it’s hard to live with.

1 Like

My sister and one niece (her second daughter) have bipolar.

1 Like

Mother had alcohol problems and was highly neurotic but was never officially diagnosed with anything. Sister had depression but I think it was dealt with at GP level. Brother was diagnosed last year with hiv related psychosis. Going further back my paternal grandfather and one of his brothers had depression . My grandfather had ECT in the late 1940s/early 1950s.

1 Like

i think my parents might have personality disorders… but i’m not in a position to diagnose… i have a schizophrenic cousin and a cousin with OCD. i think my mom might be schizotypal… my dad might be narcissistic or one of the cluster B personality disorder…

1 Like

My brother has depression and anxiety and it’s really tough for him at the moment

But I still have the crown for most crazy in the family

GO ME

1 Like

Depression seems to be a reoccurring mental illness in my family.

• My maternal grandfather had it as well as his father and his sister
  • My paternal grandfather may have had it
  • My father has it
  • My mother has it
  • One of my aunts has it

My father and his sister also have anxiety. My cousin(s) have ADHD and my mother went through a phase in her adolescence in which she would have hallucinations. But it appears that out of everyone else, I got the short end of the stick. :confused:

1 Like

Uncle and cousin and aunt had schizophrenia. Schizotypal uncle on moms side of family. Grandfather had major depression. Some family members had slightly eccentric personalities.

1 Like

You could have ended up with just depression! In my opinion schizophrenia ■■■■■■ sucks…

1 Like

You have good prognostic factors. Youre a woman and you dont have a family history of schizophrenia. Consider yourself lucky. But you also had an early onset and alot of negative symptoms = bad prognostic factors.

I was raised by a dysfunctional family.
My mother has Depression and was Sexually Abused in her younger years, My father has control, anger, and anxiety issues - his controling ways verged on the Abusive.
I was constantly criticised, judged, sometimes verbally abused and defined by both parents growing up.
My brother suffers from Major Depressive Disorder and probably has Sociopathic traits - his wife has undiagnosed Borderline - she shows a lot of the symptoms - her father has Borderline, and she too displays a lot of Sociopathic traits.
They also were loving parents, I just think that they were both this way because of their symptoms.

2 Likes

Maternal grandmother has bipolar I with psychosis. Maternal aunt, mom and sister have major depression. Paternal grandfather committed suicide. Paternal great uncle with possible schizophrenia. Lots of substance abuse on either side.

1 Like