Which antipsychotic doesn't cause sexual dysfunction?

Guys,I am on abilify since 2009 and had suffered sexual dysfunction from it,I stopped abilify once for a year,after I stopped for 4 months my erection returned to normal,and semen volume also…now I need antipsychotic and my
Meds,just curious which antipsychotic doesn’t raise prolactin and doesn’t cause sexual dysfunction?

I am on 5mg abilify,30mg mirtazapine and 200mg sodium valproate

I am on Risperdal and in my opinion it is one of the worst sexual dysfunction offenders - raising prolactin.
Usually Abilify is not so bad, I would say it is one of the better choices. Everyone is different and reactions will be very individual. For me Abilify and Seroquel were not so bad - low dose Zyprexa was ok too.
I think that it also can be dose dependent - higher antipsychotic doses usually can make things worse.
Good luck to you on finding the right one!

1 Like

I’ve used Haloperidol (Haldol), Aripiprazole (Abilify) and Quetiapine (Seroquel) and never had any problems. I think Quetiapine is meant to be one of the best ones with regards to prolactin, I don’t think it does much to prolactin levels at all.

Do you have high prolactin from Abilify?
From my understanding Abilify and Seroquel are the least to cause sexual side effects.

Yes I believe I do,even though I haven’t tested my prolactin level but I am sure I had sexual dysfunction,less interest in sex and also erectile dysfunction

But I hope I can do better mentally first

My doctor says Abilify wont’ cause an increase in prolactin. I was on invega sustenna for about 2 months and it increased my prolactin, was soft as bubble gum.

I am on prolixin. Risperdal made me impotent and Abilify had no sexual side effect on me, but I was delusional on Abilify, so now I’m on prolixin and I feel like I"m not even on meds !!