When you were boys

did you think your sister’s menstruation or your mother’s was a determent that girls were odd

and of lesser sex for having a bleeding body? And did anybody teach you, were you shocked or put off by it?

My mother has always been very open about women’s issues. I never found it odd.

2 Likes

us girls used to call it the curse. We separate totally, the sexes.

2 Likes

My mom was somewhat open about it but my dad didn’t want to hear any of it lol.

We all had horrific menstrual cycles. It was awful. We all ended up getting hysterectomies.

My daughters were 11 when they got them which is so young. My girls aren’t shy about it. My oldest would always say “I’m bleeding from my vagina” lol.

2 Likes

The schools you’d go to you went to the principal and said you needed the marshmallow wouldn’t even let you say pad. Big push these days to make tampons or pads available everywhere. And no tax on feminine products in stores.

No not really. At first in my childhood my mom would tell me that boys were more capable than girls and they didn’t really become equal until recently. And they still weren’t quite equal. I think I took that too literal. But then later my sister asked my dad in front of me and 2 girls if females or males were better. And my dad said girls are better in every way. And I didn’t like my dad for that. My dad has always been a slightly corny ladies man. Well at least since he met my mom he always flirts with waitresses and stuff in a corny way. But they are real friendly to him back and laugh and stuff.

I’m not sexist anymore but I think I was a little because of confusion and issues and stuff.

But in regards to menstrual cycles only, no I’ve never thought that was too gross at all. I never held it against any woman. I usually abstain from taking too much joy in period jokes. Never found them to be much of my business.

1 Like

I went to a private school and very modest as well. At least once a week I’d use menstruation as a reason to skip class. My teacher (a man) was so embarrassed by it he would just say it was fine to miss. He’d turn bright red lol. Poor guy.

2 Likes

I had an accident in math class and had to leave and wrap my spring jacket around my waist. I told them I was sick and my mom came and got me. She must have figured it out later when it was bloody jeans in the laundry.

In my family it was never mentioned - neve r seen. Then they dropped the bomb on me at age 11. They went so far as to take out the M volume of the science encyclopedia. I was the only girl.

1 Like

We’re open about it here. My boys see their dad buy pads and tampons for me and our girls. They get a little grossed out by talk of it but they know its natural and normal.

2 Likes

one time when I was about six I was helping my mom set the table and I put out feminine pads for napkins. true story…haha

6 Likes

Phil says I can’t believe a woman can bleed for 7 days and still live.

1 Like

My son was very amused by the emergency tampons in my glove compartment. I told him they’re for just in case I have a period emergency.

5 Likes

That is so cute and hilarious!

1 Like

My husband said that once. Said he wasn’t arguing with any person that survived that every month.

1 Like

All genders are equal in capability but opportunity is another matter.

As far as periods go they dont make anyone lesser. It’s just nature unfortunately.

1 Like

I never knew what that was until I learned about it in middle school. I don’t have a sister and my mother was always passed out from her third or fourth bottle of wine. So I didn’t know much about “women’s issues” growing up.

1 Like

I remember my mom occasionally having me buy tampons for her at the grocery store. A couple times it bothered me but usually it was like buying toilet paper, it was just a fact of life that needed to be bought.

2 Likes

I grew up in a very old fashioned village. Sanitary products were kept hidden in a cupboard under the till. They were only mentioned in hushed terms.

1 Like

My mom never explained the menstrual cycle to me, so everything I learned, I learned in school. When I was 14 and still hadn’t started my period, I was hopeful that I never would. Then, of course, I did, and I went to my sisters instead of my mom for help. She didn’t discuss sex with me either. Less than a year later, I was pregnant. Lovely.

I remember boys joking about pads at school. One said, “What is it, like an extra butt wipe?” I think he was serious.

1 Like