When I was in hospital …

The hospital told my mum and bro I was having mood swings because my moods were fluctuating so much. And when I spoke to a consultant after that he said it’s likely a mood disorder. But I’m so confused because the psychosis lasted around 8 weeks whilst I was adjusting on meds. How can it be a mood disorder if I was in psychosis even without severe moods. Unless the meds resolved the mood symptoms before helping with psychosis.

1 Like

I’m not sure. Where you live, can you get a second opinion?

2 Likes

They all say different things. I thought going into hospital will make a difference in that things would be clearer but I’m still confused.

2 Likes

@Milly did you say that a pdoc said it is unchanged as sza? Because if so when you were on the ward your symptoms could have been pure affective. Ie just extreme mood symptoms with no psychosis at all.

That is totally possible with sza

2 Likes

They haven’t changed the records since 2015 but last pdoc told me it’s a mood disorder.

2 Likes

I hope you get it figured out soon. Next appointment, if it were me, I’d admit to them that I’m confused and want a better explanation as to what’s going on

2 Likes

Ah I see. I knew I had heard something about 5 years and a diagnosis.

2 Likes

A private consultant did once diagnose with bipolar so on gp records that’s what it states. And sick notes.

2 Likes

So who said your last hospitalisation was due to psychosis? Just trying to figure the situation out because I am confused as well lol

You said you can’t remember much of your hospital stay. Can you remember being told your were psychotic?

2 Likes

Things may never clear up for you @Milly
Some experts actually believe SZA is a more severe form of a mood disorder.

I’m confused as well and so are all my doctors.
Right now I have 2 different disorders, bipolar given to me by my psychiatrist and SZA given to me by my therapist.

I tell people I have both.

It’s so frustrating but I’ve learned to accept it.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was psychosis. Trying to run away to catch a train to America. Thinking my partner was a bad person. Thinking I was new queen of England.

1 Like

It’s really annoying. I know it doesn’t matter but I still wanted things to be clear after 10 years.

2 Likes

That sounds hilarious now but back then I thought I was on some mission to help people.

1 Like

I somehow was online most of the time adding 3000 people on Facebook I don’t remember much of the hospital though I wonder if it’s because of trauma

1 Like

RD Laing (out of fashion now) wrote a book called ‘Knots’

2 Likes

I say it this way. If one has a mood disorder, the thinking is only affected when the mood is off. In schizophrenia, the thinking is off regardless of mood…

4 Likes

Could the mood swings have been triggered by the aps you were put on for psychosis?

2 Likes

@anon44466342

Actually I would say antidepressants sometimes throw folks into a manic phase. But otherwise a change in medication is always suspect when one’s behavior changes.

3 Likes

I was taken off the antipsychotics months beforehand because I didn’t have a psychosis in 10 years and only one episode. They added an antidepressant that kicked it off.

3 Likes

If an antidepressant kicked off the psychosis, then it was, without a doubt, a manic psychosis, @Daisy79.

1 Like