When actions or thoughts seem like they are controlled

I was hospitalized due to suicidal ideation by my rehab counselor. They increased my dose of olanzapine and four days after I was discharged feeling a whole lot better. The Pdoc i talked to write in the notes that i suffer from “passivity phenomena”

In my case my “passivity phenomena” is when i’m having attacks of intrusive thoughts where i can’t control my own thinking, it’s like they are controlled by outside stimuli and thoughts / voices (not loud voices, but internal)

Google:

"Passivity phenomena, such as ‘made’ actions and thoughts, were recognised by Schneider (1957) as schizophrenic symptoms of first rank. Similarly to the alien hand syndrome, patients with passivity phenomena lack a sense of volition or self-generation (‘coming from me’) when experiencing their actions or thoughts. "

5 Likes

Honestly, that sounds awful. I’m so sorry you feel like that

1 Like

Thanks, luckily it’s only attacks, most of the time i think like everyone else (i mean that you are not aware of your own thinking, you just think without noticing your own thinking)

2 Likes

I’m impressed by your attitude. I’m not sure I could handle that. I think I would freak out completely and show up in an ER if I felt like I wasn’t generating my own thoughts. For me, that would lead to even more paranoia than I already have. I think it would push me over the edge.

2 Likes

It is excruciating painful when it happens. Thoughts are the most intimate “thing” of your own self. Imagine that your thoughts are taken over by outside forces, it’s unbearable. That was the reason of my suicidal ideation and therfore the reason i got hospitalized.

Since they increased my dose of olanzapine to 10 mg i haven’t had any attacks. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Never heard of it.
Good that medicine helped you and Good luck with recovery.

1 Like

Thanks, @Yellowdiamond - im fine now, and there is a good plan for a sort of recovery. The most important is, that im going to stop drinking alcohol from friday and for the rest of my life.

2 Likes

I’m so glad the medicine is helping you so far.

1 Like

It happened to me to after my psychosis, kinda like OCD. Telling me to Ask random people questions and tryna pin some weird ■■■■ on me.

Its a lot better now though than it was right after i was in recovery. Because i asked the voices how do you guys see the future and why is it always negative. They stopped responding. For a while.

2 Likes

That’s interesting information. I think I suffer from the same, at times at least. Where my thoughts are triggered by the voices, rather than generated by myself. Rather annoying at times

Sorry to hear you’ve been having a rough go of it

1 Like

I get inserted thoughts - out of my control intrusive thoughts from the evil spirit.

2 Likes

Yep, went through this before getting on meds and it’s truly frustrating and hellish.

During that time, I just tried to always make my actions ones of kindness and consideration. I think it helped, but there was certainly an inner war of control and loss of autonomy going on throughout.

Wishing you the best and hoping these symptoms fade away for you really soon :+1:.

1 Like

This sounds like what happened to me from 2013 until 2019. I got hospitalized in 2015 and went to the psych ward, got diagnosed with schizophrenia and put on meds but would quit them and didn’t see lasting improvements until 2019 when I started an Invega Sustenna injection.

1 Like

Yes it’s a hellish symptom, but nice to know that there is someone, @Schztuna out there who won the internal fight between your own ego and the intruding ego.

I havent had an attack since i increased dose. Now i get an injection instead of tablets, but it’s only 10 mg olanzapine.

Thanks @CoCo and @Cragger - if it wasn’t such a painful symptom, it would be quite interesting to investigate further. The ego is not a whole and solid thing if such phenomena exists. My doctor called it “low ipseity” which means that you are having a low sense of your own self, typical for a lot of SZ patients.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.