What's happens if you stop taking your medicine cold turkey?

I stopped cold turkey and relapsed.

I stopped meds and then the voices stop. And then I get rid of the symptoms and could work again.

I think med works for some people but in my case it is not. I feel much better and do really well when I m not medicated.

I was on Flupentixol for two years and my pdoc lowered the dose slowly until I had 1 mg left. Then I started hearing voices again and feeling followed. She switched me to Abilify. I have now 20 mg. But the voices are still present. And a feeling of getting stuck in another dimension or that everything becomes smaller than me.

I just stop taking my high blood pressure cold turkey only 5mg but my heart rate is up early in the morning, restless nights but on evenings I feel much better. I really do not want to go back on it. How should I handle this?

I unwillingly stopped meds cold turkey once, my family didnā€™t want to take me to get more so i was without, i nearly collapsed in a wal-mart, out of nowhere it felt like my body was going ten feet up in the air and then back down, i began to wobble and almost fell down, all of my motor functions were ceasing for a sec.

I came to after a few moments of this.

My family sucks balls.

I donā€™t recommend coming off anti-psychotic medication cold turkey. Iā€™ve done that, and I really, really had anger issues. It surprises me that I didnā€™t offend someone and get beat up. If you want to come off the medā€™s I recommend that you do it under medical supervision. The rebound effect I got coming off medication was very strong. You might do or say something you regret when you come off the medā€™s. This could be disastrous for a relationship, if you have a significant other.

2 Likes

Depending on the meds, you could also have a seizure(s).
If you donā€™t like the side effects of the invega, then talk to your meds team (pdoc) about switching meds.
Be responsible about improving your life by working with, not against your team.
Be honest, tell them what you donā€™t like about the meds and let them try something different.
If you play games and lie, donā€™t blame them when they stop believing everything you say and do what they feel is in your best interest, because you give them no choice.
Once they find out you are deceiving them, you will never get the respect from them you think you deserve, and rightfully so.
If you want to stop the meds, it is your choice, but you better hope you never relapse and need your treatment team again.
Give them a chance and do what they tell you, and give it some time to work, at the very least 6 months minimum. Tell the Dr. what you hate about the meds, what you can tolerate, and what helps. Let him do the job he went to so much school to get. Give it a chance to work. Then decide.
If you act like a child, expect to be treated like a child.
Act like an adult, expect to be treated like an adult.

1 Like