What were your simple, childhood interests

Mine were clocks, birds and water.

2 Likes

legos, playmobile figures, marine biology, backyard archeology, almanacs and globes, riding my bike, drawing pictures, Nintendo and computers, drifting aimlessly for hours in a rowboat with my brother, I don’t know…can I say legos again? Because I really enjoyed my legos.

Oh and airplanes. I really wanted to be a pilot.

2 Likes

As a child, my greatest interest was in reading, then came video games. Odd, I just now realized that my interest in reading really went down after I discovered video games. I’m not going to outright blame them but it is an interesting coincidence.

2 Likes

Dinosaurs (that’s a given i think), nature, animals, fishing, building dams in creeks, girls,…drafting, aircraft, aviation, piloting… all before age 10
I knew almost every instrument in this cockpit when i was 8, and could have probably flown the craft (Boeing 707) …not so simple childhood interest?

1 Like

I always wanted to join the Army and fly helicopters. Unfortunately, even before the mental illness, my vision has always been poor and that ruled out any chance I had at being a helicopter pilot.

I love aviation sims on the PC though.

^I could never master the helicopter in the more realistic flight sims…

@e_lunaseer lol I may have been able to fly a Cessna at 8…me thinks not so much the jetliner though :smile:
But you mentioned girls and building dams…reminds me of a time in my mid 20’s…not that I didn’t crush on the odd girl as a boy of course.

Comic books, dogs, drawing, camping.

1 Like

reading, drama, writing, singing, gymnastics, dancing…and um…stick insects!

1 Like

If I had a bad day at school here is what I did

• Grab some cheesecloth
  • Small white styrofoam craft balls
  • Felt
  • Yarn
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Sewing needles
  • Pins

Made homemade voodoo dolls of kids in my class I did not like. Stuck pins in them. :dolls:

3 Likes

Playing soccer, Hide and Seek, touch football, dogs, bird watching, movies and actors, and finally the paranormal (not so simple)

3 Likes

I played a lot of Gunship on the Commodore 64 back in the day. My favorite helicopter sim was Longbow 2 on the PC. I bought DCS: UH-1H Huey a while back but never really played it. I need a new joystick, my old X45 is pretty much dead.

Lions, Lego, Meccano, Roller skating and making very tiny dams with the very small rain run offs by the local river.

1 Like

Swimming, playing on the beach, fishing, tree swings, reading and astronomy.

1 Like

Drawing anime, mostly dragon ball z characters.

1 Like

Reading, playing touch or tackle football with my friends and the other neighborhood kids. Having slingshot “wars” using BB’s. Playing darts. Both with the real kind with dartboards AND shooting the plastic soft ones with the suction cups on the end so that they would stick to glass or the TV screen from a cheap plastic gun. Collecting coins. Getting up early and going fishing for Blue Gill. Playing hide-and-go seek. Mild vandalism!!! Riding bikes, shooting pool or bowling. Going to the mall and walking around. Candy.Water balloon fights. Hunting birds with a BB gun; I’m a little ashamed of that one. We murdered many birds.

1 Like

And pokemon on my gameboy, and when I was much younger I liked riding all over the place with my bigwheeler.

1 Like

I once had a slingshot, it was a pretty badass one made of metal with a wrist support. I was screwing around, in bed watching tv, I pointed the slingshot at the tv, pretending to shoot some character on it. It was loaded, I don’t know what the hell I was thinking. I accidentally let go and hit the tv screen. Luckily it didn’t break completely through but only left a small hole in the first layer of the glass.

I was a dumb kid.

Playing war on the playground at school. We’d pretend we were soldiers and run and crawl around the playground.

We called those wrist rockets. Only my friend who had a big allowance could afford one of those. The rest of us either bought cheap slingshots from the dime store or we made our own with coat hangers, rubber bands, and a small piece of leather.

I pinned a couple dolls in my day, but that was late teens - 20s… I repented of the voodoo

Ah, that too, and building forts, snow caves, and such… that was as an older kid.